Considerations for Naked Conversion on XJ600 & Seca II

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm

I've received a few PM's regarding logistics around converting the Seca II to a naked style bike, so I've decided a thread on the matter would be helpful. Since we did not get the XJ600N (Naked Version of the Seca II) here in the US, and since the Seca II is equipped with a fairing from the factory, there are some considerations that need to be accounted for when make it a naked bike.

1. Headlamp: The stock headlamp is supported by the fairing stay which mounts to tabs welded to the front of the headset. This headlamp points forward when the bike is turned. Typically, the headlamp on an unfaired bike moves with the handlebars and is mounted to either the forks or the triple in some fashion. The headlamp used on the XJ600N mounts on pegs which fit into the upper and lower triple. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, you will need to purchase a headlamp and purchase or fabricate the mounts to attach it to the fork or triple. The best headlamp for the conversion (IMHO) is a 7", side mount headlamp with an H4 bulb. This allows you to use the stock wiring and the side mounts line up well with the spacing of the forks. On my XJ, I made mounts which fit over the shock tubes and clamp between the triples to secure the headlamp.
In my most recent reinvention of this conversion I chose a Honda Hornet headlamp. This headlamp is a bit bigger than the 7" headlamp and features dual bulbs. It is a phenomenal headlamp for this conversion.

2. Speedometer, Tachometer & Gauges: The Seca II's stock speedometer mounts to the fairing stay and is NOT designed to be exposed to the elements on it's underside as it has no protection from water or sunlight. As with the headlamp, the speedometer on an unfaired bike typically turns with the handlebars. The speedometer & tachometer on the XJ600N mounts to tabs on the upper triple which are not present on the Seca II. When converting the Seca II to a naked bike, a set of gauges needs to be sourced and mounts fabricated. Aftermarket speedometers designed for dirt bikes & cruisers provide the easiest approach.
Of course, with a bit of fabrication work, you can fit just about any gauge set you wish (the photo, below, is with the FZ600 gauges and custom pods).
If gauge mounts are fabricated, the Yamaha Radian gauges provide a very good, useable and stock-looking gauge set for this conversion(the photo, below, features Radian gauges). A Buell S1 screen covers them well and makes the asymmetrical design seem intentional. Here's a wiring diagram for the Radian gauges.

3. Signals: The stock front signals mount to the fairing stay on the Seca II. They will need to be relocated when converting to an unfaired bike.

4. Wiring: There is a mess of wiring which is hidden by the fairing. On a typical unfaired bike, this wiring is tucked inside the headlamp bucket. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, storage and routing of this wiring needs to be considered.

5. Horn: The horn is mounted to a bracket on the right side of the bike and is typically hidden by the fairing. When the fairing is removed, the horn's location needs to be addressed. Typically, this is moved to below the headset.

6. Frame covers: The fairing on the Seca II covers the coils and wiring as it follows the frame beneath the gas tank. The XJ600N has moulded plastic covers which hide this area. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, these need to be considered. A good source for stock XJ600N frame covers is EBay UK. We have several UK members who may help secure the covers and send them to you.

7. Fairing Tabs: The fairing is mounted to tabs on the frame, below the tank. When the fairing is removed, these tabs need to be addressed. They are typically cut off and their welds painted over or ground down. Of course, this will make the conversion permanent.

mike.kir
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Poland EU
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 N 95

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:00 pm

You can also make it in Triumph Speed Triple style. My XJ is originally naked version, but I changed front light to two of them. My design base was this Triumph. I was analysing photos and stuff, but I was in shock when I saw this bike for the first time for real - headlamp, fairing and gauges are mounted to the frame. So in yours case this also can be possible to achieve. Making construction that holds naked style lamp and gauges mounted to the frame there where original mount is shouldn't be too hard :)

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 pm

mike.kir wrote:You can also make it in Triumph Speed Triple style. My XJ is originally naked version, but I changed front light to two of them. My design base was this Triumph. I was analysing photos and stuff, but I was in shock when I saw this bike for the first time for real - headlamp, fairing and gauges are mounted to the frame. So in yours case this also can be possible to achieve. Making construction that holds naked style lamp and gauges mounted to the frame there where original mount is shouldn't be too hard :)
Are we supposed to be looking at pictures or something? :what:
Better to be over the hill than under it.

mike.kir
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Poland EU
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 N 95

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 am

1Oldman wrote:Are we supposed to be looking at pictures or something? :what:
Yeah you're right ;)
Here are the photos of Speed Triple and its mount:
And here is idea of mine:
(red circle is the 'hole' in this design so the answer was small fairing)
Most people don't like those two big headlights but it's my bike so I don't care :D In the final version I'll go with black paint rather than chrome and maybe smaller turn signals.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 am

I was asked about my fairing and headlamp mounts in a PM and thought I'd add the response here since it contains the specific parts I used in my conversion:

The windscreen is made by Holeshot Performance. It's an exact copy of the one used on the Buell Blast or Buell M2 Cyclone. You can usually get the Buell version for under $40 on EBay. If you're going to paint it, i'd recommend a black one, since they're colored through and through.

My headlamp is a 7" Delkevic unit which is a copy of the headlamp used on the SV650N or CB750 nighthawk. You can find them on eBay for about $60 shipped if you look around.

All the wiring for the headlamp, gauge connections and signals is contained within the headlamp housing.

My headlamp mounts are made from 1 1/4" exhaust pipe and 16 gauge steel. I made a 1:1 template in Autocad, cut out the shape using an angle grinder and welded the ears to the exhaust tubing. It slips over the fork legs and is held in place with o-rings between the tubing and the upper/lower triple.

The filler panels (red triangles) which sit above the headlamp brackets are made from ABS. I cut them out of an old damaged tail from my SV650. You can see the bike mid-evolution here. I made the parts, fitted them, adjusted them and then designed the filler panels to follow the lines of the tank, mocked them up in paper and then cut them out of the ABS:

The gauges mount to the headlamp brackets. They are the two bolts you see next to the black plug. The signal lenses also mount to the headlamp brackets.

sdimick
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Utah
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha xj600C

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:03 pm

How did you wire the fz gauges?
-One Off Xj-

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=856

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:05 pm

sdimick wrote:How did you wire the fz gauges?
The FZ600 gauges use the same wiring for the tach and bulb holders as the Seca II gauges. I wired the tach, like for like (on wire colors) and installed the bulbs/holders for illumination straight over from the Seca Harness. I cut the bulb holders off for the neutral, oil light and high beams and wired those to the blue, green and red LED's you see below. I ran new wires from the front turn signals to each of the left and right signal indicator LEDs (I wanted it to flash for each direction instead of doing it for both, like the stock wiring). I purchased the LED's on EBay for $4 each, plus shipping (it was an expensive venture).

If you were using the FZ600's indicator lights, it would be a simple matter of plugging the Seca II's bulbs into the housing of the FZ600 gauges and swapping the tachometer wiring, like for like.

greeny4704
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: marion ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 xj600 4k / 93 xj600 13k

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:32 am

What ever happened with the vapor gauges I've been looking at them they seem really nice for the price
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 am

greeny4704 wrote:What ever happened with the vapor gauges I've been looking at them they seem really nice for the price
I sold them to Oizarod and he's installed them. You might ask him.

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Bout your gauges... How do they mount into the braket you made? I'd like to use simalar gauges since I like the style of them but what you run fully naked with our any wind screen. Is there a gauge bucket out there that would work to but the FZR gauges in? Looking at pics the back of the FZR gauges aren't the prettiest things in the worl and would like to mount them in something to give it more of a XJ600N style. Any suggestions?
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."