Engine/valve timing HELP

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
RsxSmurfette
New to XJR
New to XJR

Ok this is my first post, but I've been using the wall and now I've hit a wall.

I have a 1994 xj600s that I have had pulled to pieces for 2 months now from an entire carb rebuild and rejet to valve lapping and a headgasket. I finally made progress in reassembly from the headgasket to the cams. That was 2 weeks ago. I cannot get the timing set right. I have followed the step by step radare posted over and over and over probably close to 35 times now.

Timing plate and sensor lined up at T, yes, camshaft marks slightly advanced to tighten up chain slack yes. When tightened and the tensioner is put in everything is lined up. The second I turn the crank it's out of time and while I don't HEAR any interference i hit enough resistance I cannot turn the crank.

So turn back to the T mark and line up with sensor to check and make sure I am lined up. And I'm a tooth off. Every single time, sometimes it's the exhaust cam sometimes it's the intake cam.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I have locked the crank from turning, I have locked 1 cam, i have locked both cams I have left everything rotating, I have held tension on the chain and adjusted the offending cam, I have said screw it and laid the chain on as tight as I could, what the heck am I missing!?

So can someone please help because I am at a total loss here. And I will be happy to post a big rebuild post when I get the timing set and have a computer again.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login