How to: Use R6 Handlebar Switches

How-to's pertaining to the electrical system, ignition, lights and battery
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

How to: Use R6 Switches with your Stock Wiring

My stock handlebar switches are badly faded and gunked up and I hate looking at them. Stock switches are still available but they're crazy expensive.

I purchased a pair of handlebar switches from an '08 Yamaha R6 for under $40 shipped on EBay and set out to replace my switches with them.

The right-hand switch (kill switch) is identical to the stock switch, with the exception of it's connectors. To remedy this, I pulled both switches apart, un-soldered the harnesses and resoldered the Seca II harness to the R6 switch.

If your start switch is in good shape, you can actually just pop the switches apart and pop the Seca II internals into the R6 housing and use the R6's red button; the starter switch is the one that has to be soldered. I chose to use the R6's starter switch because it was in nicer shape than my stock one.

Here are some photos:

Seca II switch vs. '08 R6 switch:

Inside the two switches (Seca II switch is on the right, with the cobwebs):

Housings with the internals removed (remove the three screws on each switch and pull the internals out):

Inside of the R6 switch with the Seca II harness installed:

The un-soldered starter switch:

The final switch, ready for installation with the correct harness and connectors:

I'll do the left-hand switch next. Stay tuned!

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login