Project Diversion

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
tobyd
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello,

A few months ago I dragged a (mostly) red diversion out of a garden where it had sat for sometime. Seized brakes, ruined fuel system, filthy with an unknown mechanical cause for its abandonment and no paperwork. Seemed a nice step up from my GS500e which isn't great on the motorway.

Sorted out the V5 with the DVLA so its in my name, MOT history is no existent so hasn't been on the road in years, the guy who's garden it was in says it was his sons and has been sat in various gardens over the last 6 to 8 years but no one knows (or whats to tell me) why.

Anyway, looking for a project thought i'd try and solve the problem on why it was a sorry state.

it was because the engine has eaten a piston. water ingestion? no idea, the starter gear was alright and i'd expect that to have gone before the con-rod. anyway, mystery solved...

So 'new' engine.

Since then i've replaced the fuel system (8 years of ethanol petrol had dissolved rather a lot of it - fuel tap to carbs), rebuilt the calipers, replaced the back MC with stock and used a CB1100X MC at the front (sadly the back clamp isn't interchangable with the stock one so no mirror perch...), replaced the sprockets and chain, cleaned it up and its nearly ready for some new tyres and an MOT.

Mostly seems in OK shape, Motad exhaust seems ok, suspension is alright (replaced fork seals and oil) and whilst it needs a sand-blast and respray its not catastrophically rusty.

Electrics are less than stellar however, so might have some queries!

And thats me!

Oh, and there is an engine carcass, decent head, cams and bits off a '93 engine - shout if you want any of it and i'll see what I can do, the casings are taken but the rest is likely cheap or free plus postage but get in there quick since it'll be scrapped before long!

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login