Little Kawi Z125 - Odd clutch (?) problem

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MrEvilPirate
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Much along the same line as Radare's interest in the 250 Suzuki, and also because my girlfriend just started riding and picked up a 125cc Honda Grom, I bought a left over 2017 Kawi Z125. Air cooled, fuel injected single cylinder, weighs about 220lbs wet, adjustable rear suspension, tops out around 60 mph. Lots of fun carving back road turns.

One problem.

I was hearing a bad, metal on metal "clang" sound occasionally on shifts to 2nd when I was giving it a fair amount of gas and feathering the clutch. Like a rolling stop.

I played around with it and am able to reproduce the sound in the following conditions:

-Bike warmed up.
-Rolling in 2nd, clutch pulled in, going about 8-12 mph.
-Roll on throttle, about 4k RPM, and slowly release clutch.
-JUST BEFORE I get to the friction zone, the "clank clank clank clank" noise comes. If I pull in the clutch, or release it into the friction zone, the noise stops.
-It is easiest to hear in 2nd as described above, but I've heard it in first (again feathering clutch while giving it gas, just before friction zone) and 3rd occasionally.
-Here is a video of the sound. In the video when the "clank clank clank clank" starts I was holding the clutch right before the friction zone and you can hear the terrible noise. When I pull in the clutch at the end of the clip the terrible sound stops. If I released the clutch the noise would also stop. The bike is new and only 9hp so I can't really say if the clutch feels grabby or not.

[Video][/Video]

I took the bike to the dealer once and couldn't make the noise. They said just ride it. I changed the oil at about 100 miles, found some shavings (I'm not sure what amount is normal for brand new bike). Took it back at about 130 miles and told them this isn't right, it shouldn't be making the noise, again I couldn't reproduce it (of course) and asked them to open her up and take a look. Maybe warped clutch plate? I'm on the line for the cost of inspection if they don't find broken parts, but I'll fight that battle when I get there.

Anything else you guys think I should check? Dealer won't be able to check it until this Thursday, they are closed for the 4th.

Appreciate any ideas.

EDIT - It is a wet clutch.
Last edited by MrEvilPirate on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login