Front End Wobble

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Seems like I've developed a slight straight line wobble up front, felt through the handlebars. Now, we're not talking an tank slapper, but when I accelerate, or decel, at slower speeds, it's somewhat noticeable. I haven't noticed it at higher speeds, or while cornering.

I checked the head bearings last night, no noise, no grind, no slight catching in either direction and no play when I pull/push/lift on the forks or front wheel, all done with the front in the air. Rear end alignment is good, as is tire pressure. Tires are new(ish, about 1500 km on them this year) and balanced, no bumps and no odd wear patterns (YET). I can hear a slight rub on the front disk when I spin the front wheel. Here's the plan for the weekend.

Redo front end alignment, and re-torque.
Time to tighten the chain a bit, so rear end alignment will be redone too.
Pull the front caliper and give it a good once over.
Check the front disk for any signs of warping, wheel too I guess, although spinning it by hand didn't seem to show any side to side.

I'm looking for anything else that might be causing this that I can check while I have the time. Any suggestion appreciated.

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login