How to: Synchronize Carburetors

Maintenance how-to's and guides for the induction system including the airbox, carburetors, fuel tank, fuel pump, petcock and hoses.
mercmorrison
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I've run into a couple issues while trying to sync up my carburetors. I figure some of you XJ riders out there might run into the same questions I did. Since I could not find too much information pertaining to carburetor synchronization exclusively for the XJ600 using this method, I thought I would share my experience with the rest of you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I referenced the video Radare posted for this project and ended up buying the Motion Pro: Sync Pro Carb Tuner used in the video. I thought the whole thing very educational, and I highly recommend you watch it before you perform the synchronization yourself.

http://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5893

The tool cost me under $80. Considering I was quoted $80 for a carb synchronization from a mechanic, buying the tool and learning the skills to do the job myself was more appealing.

NOTE: The Motion Pro: Sync Pro Carb Tuner comes with 5mm metal spigots used on most Honda and Suzuki models for carburetor synchronization. However our Yamaha's will need the 6mm adapter. Make sure you get this before you start this project. I had to find out the hard way. Learn from my mistakes.

If you are using your Motion Pro for the very first time, you will have to put it together. There are written instructions that come with the tool and are sufficient enough to put the tool together. You can also use the video guide and again I highly recommend watching it as they explain everything beyond the necessary volume.

One last thing, I highly suggest checking your bike for any vacuum leaks and fixing those issues before attempting to synchronize your carburetors. You will not likely synchronize your carburetors very accurately if you do have vacuum leaks.
Last edited by mercmorrison on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login