stalling when getting into first gear

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
satchumo
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So I'm not really mechanically inclined and this is my first bike. It’s getting warmer out and I am wanting to get the bike out. The bike got delivered to me and it was running fine. I wasn't sure what to put the fuel at so I put it on "prime" instead of “on” since that is what they taught us when I took the beginning riders class.

So it sat there for about three months with the fuel in that position. Two days ago I was going to take the bike out for a ride and still had the fuel set at prime even though I thought it was supposed to be there. Fuel had been dripping on the ground which I now know this is probably from having it on prime instead of on.

So when I went to pull the clutch in and shift into first gear and as soon as I pushed down on the gear shift it immediately stalled out. I let it warm up for about a minute before I rode it. It starts right up still even though it will stall out after attempting to put it in gear. After a while though you have to give it some gas to get it started and will stall after about 20 seconds.

Another thing I discovered was to not hold onto the starter if it doesn’t want to turn over which is where I melted about 25 percent of the negative battery terminal even though there is still a decent connection. Not sure if this is having anything to do with my troubles or not. It has oil and gas and the fuel cock is set to the on position for the past two days and it started right up yesterday.

Was going to see if it would go into gear when I got home from work but the battery was not charged enough to turn it over so it’s back on the trickle charger. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am hoping I didn't ruin my first bike.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login