XJ of the Month for March 2013: Bender's 1995 XJ600N

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

[center]Image[/center]

Radare says write a few lines - in this case there isn't a restoration/conversion to speak of so just the broad picture.

The population of London UK and New York USA are about the same at 8 million, one of the reasons that I originally bought a motorbike, being on the edge of London it was an alternative to the crowded trains which used to suffer from cancellations, often due to 'driver shortage', ie: the train driver hadn't turned up The next train would be packed.

That led to a series of bikes starting at 125cc and ending at 750cc, occasionally I'd visit somebody outside London but that was it really - then I got a job near Oxford, this one I have now some 30 odd yrs ago in the middle of the southern part of the UK.

5 yrs or so ago combination of professional, financial and domestic issues (beyond my control) came up and I started looking for something to take my mind of thinking over the same insoluble situation over and over, commonplace enough I think hence the term midlife crisis - saw a 250 single for sale, bought that but it wasn't much good for distance.

The guy who did the annual bike test had a Diversion (XJ) and that seemed more like what I was looking for on a budget. This is the black bike we are talking about, did about 10K miles on it over 2.5 yrs then ended up distracted at a filling station and put diesel in it (our cars are diesel). It smoked anyway so went for a top end rebuild and here we are today.

Had the seat professionally rebuilt, got heated grips, replacement exhaust and the screen but that's about it other than the things that were wrong when I bought it - the guy said, 'I've rebuilt the starter motor and the rear brake' - both of these items needed attention almost immediately. When it came to changing the tyres both were full of temporary repair goo.

Does make me feel proud to get the accolade despite not doing a lot, still, it's all up and running now just a question of some pleasant weather and I'll be off. I can't honestly think of a bike that I'd rather have. My Xj's have just the right combination of power, weight, economy and comfort for me :) .