cold second cylinder exhaust, carb issue?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
03laramie
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

1,3 and 4 are at around 600 when fully warmed up, but #2 is around 350. I found out that the intake boot between the carb and engine is see through, would that air leak cause the exhaust to run cold? I thought a lean condition would be a very hot pipe, unless there is so much air leaking in its not allowing for combustion? im ordering new boots on Monday, but im going to get some radiator hose to fit the intake manifolds on the bike as a temporary fix to try and get it running right. when its running, the idle continuously goes up and down and when I rev it up it back fires out the right side exhaust, which is where the #2 cylinder leads to. keep in mind I don't have a manometer, and i haven't adjusted the valves yet. i made sure none of the passages in the carb were clogged when i cleaned them and i have #20 pilot jets installed. should getting the new boots solve the backfiring, hunting idle and cold exhaust pipe?

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login