Fuel Pump & Vacuum Line Routing

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MrDoug1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I recently took apart my fuel system, to include tank, petcock, fuel pump.
I am having trouble getting her running again from any other method other than gravity fed. I paid attention to what I pulled off and from where, but now I am completely lost. I have since tried almost every possible combination (and I have read several combinations on here and on youtube) to no avail. I gave up, took apart the fuel pump and petcock and put them back together, still nothing. I have since purchased a new fuel pump and a petcock rebuild kit off of eBay.

They could have coincidentally failed or been on there way out when I was taking everything apart, or maybe I could have hooked everything up wrong blowing a seal or something. Regardless, my buddy and I determined the next step (after getting her running good gravity fed) was to source a new fuel pump and rebuild the petcock. Those parts have now arrived, but I am in no hurry to hook everything back up unless I know exactly the routing of the lines.

This is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong:

*Vacuum line from #1 cylinder goes to left side (tall end) on the top of the fuel pump
*Vacuum line from #2 cylinder goes to vacuum port (right lower side) on petcock
*Fuel line (with no filter) goes from fuel port (left straight side) on petcock to right side (short end) on the top of the fuel pump
*Fuel line (with filter) that goes to carbs goes to lower angled (with "P" on it) port on fuel pump

Is this correct? I really don't want to do a functions check in order to see if I am hooked up correctly, I am looking for a very detailed and easy to understand description of the routing. A clear picture would be ideal. Here is a description I found off youtube which is totally different from what I got going, but doesn't seem to be right:
As far as the line order goes: The large line from the petcock goes to the fuel filter, the other side of the filter connects to the left side inlet of the fuel pump. The right side (large) connector on the fuel pump connects to the carbs at the center inlet. One small line connects the left inlet on the engine block to the petcock and the other small line connects the right (toward center) inlet to the small inlet on the fuel pump. (The two small lines provide the pnumatic operation)

Something doesn't add up there. I saw a post or two on here when I searched that somewhat described it, but the OP was not nearly as confused as I am after all of this.

What do you guys think?

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login