DrTrae's 1992 SECA II

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
DrTrae
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello!
I'm Trae. Turning 35 at the end of the month, have a wife and three kids, and I just got my first bike. I'm a Maintenance Mechanic, and I've worked on cars and trucks my whole life. I've got love for nearly all things automotive. I've been in to Hondas, Volkswagens, Chevys, etc. I'm currently restoring/building a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon, and now this Yamaha.

I don't really know much about the bike, or to be honest, bikes in general. My father's youngest brother died on a motorcycle, so he sort of steered my brothers and I away from motorcycles all of our lives.
I have friends that ride, and my youngest brother started riding some time ago, so it got me interested as well. And here we are.

This 1992 XJ600 SECA II belonged to my uncle (pictured above) for a number of years, till he stopped riding it and parked it in his garage.
He finally just wanted it gone to free up room, so he gave it to me. It had been laid down at some point on the right side, as some of the cooling fins on the head have clearly been ground down a bit.
My 8 year old son also took it to the ground while I was paying the tow truck driver.. Only his ego was hurt, but the fall did manage to snap the brake lever in half, and do some damage to the right front indicator.

It didn't really want to roll around without a lot of effort, so I aired up the tires, sprayed some WD-40 on the chain and a few other spots. After that, I rolled it around to my back porch/sunroom to keep it out of the elements. I figured that it's already late in the season, and I probably won't get around to getting it running before the snow gets here in the next few months.

If you look close, you can see the little bit of damage to the fins on the head there. I may still dig in to it a little bit before winter. Pull the tank and see what kind of shape its in, pull the carbs and clean/rebuild them, etc. Source new clutch and brake levers... Lol

Either way, it's put away for now. Looking forward to getting it running.
Everyone that I've talked to about it has said that they bet it'll hardly take anything to get it running, so that's been encouraging me to start ripping in to it.
Thanks for looking!

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login