Fuel issue with 94 Seca ... I thought

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
dbowman
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hi Everyone - first thanks for even reading a crazy thread about a girl who loves her 94 Seca xj600s. It was sitting for quite some time (looks brand new as garaged her whole life) - but finally caught up with me.

So at first - the battery was dead. Got a new one - turned over, but wouldn't start. I've got a good friend who is knowledgeable about motorcycles, so got his advice. Thus started my last 3 week adventure of trying to get it to start. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Removed fuel tank and emptied all bad gas.
2. Petcock was in really bad shape and totally gummed, so I installed new OEM from Yamaha. All the parts I have purchased are OEM from Partzilla or Motorsports.
3. Replaced air filter with new Hiflow - good quality air filter

Tried to start - no go. Enrichment plugs won't move. OK - time to clean the carbs.

Completely disassembled and cleaned each carb overnight in carb cleaning solution:
4. new 102.5 Jets
5. new idle jet o-rings
6. new carb bowl gaskets
7. new carb-to-carb fittings
8. new valve needles and seats
9. clear line fuel level test - all gas levels were low. Adjusted float tangs and retested - now proper heights with second float level test.
10. I set pilot jets to a recommended 3 turns out on carbs.

Tried to start - now starting, but dies immediately.

10. Changed the park plugs to new OEM standard. Plugs were black with carbon, but not wet.
11. Replaced the fuel pump with new OEM and inspected all lines for holes.

I've done everything I can - still starting, but dies immediately - with or without enrichment. Try to increase throttle - and it doesn't like it at all.

Only weird thing is that the selenoid had a bit of a problem but cleared up. I received a new one but haven't put it in yet as it is turning over and running for 2 seconds - then dies.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I'm sad that after everything I did - it didn't work. It's got to be simple ... help.

I have ordered new idle jets in case they weren't completely cleared - not sure what to do after that.

When on prime - fuel is making it through the fuel filter. Weird thing is that when I hooked up an alternate fuel source directly to the carb line - it did the same thing. Assuming I still have a problem in the carbs?

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login