Possible Enrichment circuit problem

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Johnhemp
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hey everyone, 93 Seca II

I have been getting my bike back ready for the season. (I know I am lattteeeeee lol.). Back story.
I have had the bike for about 3 years. the first year was the winter so not much there, Year 2 I started replacing vacuum and fuel lines and trying to get the bike dialed in, I did a little riding but probably 30 miles. (Bike has less than 2000 miles)

My bike is really hard to get it to warm up. If i start the bike with enrichment pulled all the out, its starts at maybe 1200rpms and will build over about 2 minutes (on a timer) all the way up to 4500rpms. If i touch the throttle during this time it revs then goes back to 4500rpms. To stop any possible damage i back the enrichment back to half pulled. The revs drop to about 1200rpms. but if I touch the throttle the bike dies. Now comes the 5 to 10 minute process (depending on the air temperature) of letting it run until it starts to back fire through the exhaust, at which point i can push the enrichment plunger all the way in and the bike will allow me to rev it without dying, At this point the bike runs really well and gives me no problems.

P.S
Last season I rebuilt my carbs. (I used the rebuilt kit and changed everything I could without splitting the bank). I brought dial vacuum gauges and balanced the carbs and used a color tune as well.

This season I re-cleaned the carbs and wire cleared every orfice i could. Now when the bike heats up it runs strong, pulls well though the whole band. and runs great (as well as it can for a new rider)

As I said I am a new rider and have not had much experience. I am trying my hardest to research and try to figure out what it could be. I read it could be a clogged enrichment tube in the carb bowl so I took them all off and cleaned the tube and both jets with wire cleaners and carb cleaner. unfortunately this provided no change.
I read it could be a vaccum leak so i tried propane and starter fluid and could not identify any leaks (when I first got the bike I did have to change the carb boots do to leaking cracks)

Thank you

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login