Rear tyre issue

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Vesuvius
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello,
last winter I found my bike with empty rear tyre (Pilot Activ). I found that it leaks air all around the rim, so I got the tyre off, cleaned the rim and had it put back. They added some rubbery goo to help it seal. It held for some time, but today I found the rear tyre empty again, leaking all around the rim.
The tyre is made in 2017, but since I spent most of the time I had fixing the bike instead of riding, it has about 2k kilometers on it, so it look almost new. It feels harder than the front tyre (which was made in 2019).
Now I wonder if its possible that the rubber got so old and hard that it cant hold air anymore, or if the issue is somewhere else. I leave the bike on the center stand all the time, so the wheel spent most of its life in the air. The rim was cleaned and slightly sanded a year ago.
Do you think if it could be solved by cleaning the rim again and buying a new tyre for the rear? Or is it worth it trying to get the old tyre to seal again? Are there any other know issues that could be causing this?
Thank you :)

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login