Large bang from the engine block on cold start?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
TMBZ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi,

What I have noticed recently is that if the bike is cold (I mean not rode for couple days) then when I try starting the bike then sometimes I hear that the starter starts cranking the engine and in about 0.1-03s I hear a fairly large BANG from the engine. At this point the cranking process obviously stops and I have a difficulty to try cranking the engine because when I want to start nothing happens, just the oil lamp turns on.

The bike can be moved back and forth freely and eventually I will be able to crank again which happens just fine. Never observed this behaviour if the engine is warm at least on a tiny bit. The bike is stored in semi-covered shed, but the temp is around +5C so its not extremely cold.

Another info is that this behaviour is fairly new, only started to happen this year.

Any ideas about this?

(ps: this is not related to the clutch cable problem I have posted couple minutes ago)
1994 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion (50hp)

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login