Replacing the clutch cable

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
TMBZ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi,

my clutch cable snapped about a week ago (in the front of my house, lucky me) so I bought a replacement. I thought replacing the cable will be easy, but it turned out that it is not easy for me.

After removing the old cable this is what I've done with the new one:
- hooked it into both the clutch lever on the handlebar and the throwout arm on the engine block
- adjusted the throwout arm with adjuster (near the engine block) that the freeplay of the throwout arm is gone
- adjusted the freeplay of the clutch lever to be around 2-3mm (like mentioned on page 58 of the service manual)

So now I supposed to have a working clutch, but I'm concerned.

- The clutch lever is kinda hard to pull. Its not too hard, but still, I think it was harder than before. The metal cable squeaks like if it needs lubrication.
- When the bike is on the middle stander and I switch to gear one than the rear wheel starts to rotate slowly on a constant speed.
- If I press the rear break the rotation stops and doesnt start again.

Are these normal for an adjusted clutch? Never done anything like this before and never tested this behaviour before my cable snapped so I dont know if it was like this or this is something bad.

Couldnt test the bike cause its pretty cold now, but anyways I would feel a lot more comfortable to do it after I got some feedback here.

Please help me out by sharing your knowledge.
Thanks!
1994 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion (50hp)

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login