Could this damage the fuelpump?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
TMBZ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi there,

biking season is over (at least here in Central Europe) and I have decied to put my bike to sleep for the next 6 months. As I'm afraid that fuel in the carbs with suck in moisture and the will give me a hard time to start the engine the next spring I came up with this genius idea to run the engine dry putting the petcock to PRI and disconnecting the fuel hose from the petcock.

I have cranked the engine, it ran surprisingly long (for at least 4 minutes) before it stalled due to the lack of fuel. I was so happy that I have the job done! After couple hours though I started to have a terrible feeling so I thought the process over again and then... SNAP! This means that my fuel pump was running dry during the entire process.

So my question is that should I expect a broken fuelpump the next spring or could we say that it most like survived this amazing experiment?

Thanks!
1994 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion (50hp)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login