What's this thing?

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
akastorm
New to XJR
New to XJR

So I recently got a Seca II that was sitting for a while (less than a year) in previous owner's garage, he didn't want to mess with it so gave it to me. I'm going through, looking at everything and trying to see what needs work (I know the carbs do at least...). I found this cylinder bolted to the frame, just behind the fuel pump. It has 3 hose connections on it, one on the left side (1), that goes down behind the transmission, but I can't see where. The right side has 2 connections, one has nothing attached (3) and the other (2) has a bit of hose (4) that goes up to where the fuel pump sits, but it looks like it was disconnected or cut off, but I think should connect to the fuel tank. It also has "CARBS" printed on the right side, apparently under the empty connector.

This appears to be unique to the California variants of the Seca II, but the parts lists just label it as "Canister Assy" and says nothing about where it's supposed to connect to the rest of the bike. The bit of hose that's dangling (4) appears to connect to an extra connector on the bottom of the fuel tank, according to the diagram, but there is no explanation of what this canister is for or where the other 2 hoses would connect.

Do you guys have any insight on this mystery part, and should I reconnect it, or just leave it as-is?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login