XJ600 dies when warm

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
Wiley
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello!

I recentrly bought a halfway rebuilt XJ600 from 1985, last owner had started making it into a cafe racer when he found he didn't have time, and he couldn't get it running. I took it home and did some troubleshooting, found that he had connected the ignition coils wrong, so I swapped the connectors with eachother and it started right up! (lucky break). I starts right up and idles fine, but the longer it idles the worse it runs, when I take it for a ride it looses power the longer I drive, until after about 5-10 minutes, it dies and won't start back up until cooled down.

The last owner has replaced the orignal airbox and filter with 4 cone filters, my quess is that it's running very lean, but I feel like it should atleast start with choke when warm, but nothing. Could it be weak coils? Or valve clearence? Maybe vacuum problem? Anyone else had this problem? And where should I start?

Appreciate any and all help, thanks!

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login