Suspecting a faulty stator

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
Aragoa
New to XJR
New to XJR

The battery voltage on my D600 is always a bit low. It just about fires up, but I sometimes have to push start it. I suspect that the stator is faulty (even though the bike only has 16.000km on it.) I have inspected the following:

Stator output at 5000 rpm is ~13VDC, which is way below the 14-15VDC specified by Yamaha. Changing the rectifier with a spare one did not help.

I have done a parasitic draw test. Connecting the multimeter inline, as well as between each fuse terminal, I measured zero amperage whatsoever.

I have measured the voltage that comes directly out of the stator. Each phase is consistent in showing around ~58VAC at 5000 rpm. It seems low, but Yamaha supplies no correct figure.

On all three wires, resistance comes down to about 0.5ish ohms. This is a smidge higher than the 0.24-0.36 ohms that the manual dictates. Of course it's hard to tell on a cheap meter.

Is there anything that I missed? Or should I just go ahead and buy a new stator?

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login