SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
mvk24
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Morning Gents, starting to put a to do list together for both of my old XJs restoration projects.

Whoever had my 93 before me shoved the wrong spark plug in one of the cylinders and we didn't realize till after I bought it and brought it to a mechanic to have the bike checked over back in the day.. anyhow. I was 17 and broke and the bike ran fine once with the normal plug shoved jn but its always haunted me that I know those threads are a mess and I'm going to have to change the plugs and fix them properly during the rebuild/restoration (happy to do it)

SO has anyone used one of these "Back Tap" spark plug thread repair tools instead of just pulling the heads and using a chaser? It seems like a good option to have since you would be working the thread material up and out which should help to keep any material from falling into the combustion chamber.

Our spark plugs are 10mm thread and 1.00 pitch so this would be the tool.

KCHEX Back-Tap 10mm Int.Spark Plug Rethread Tool #3688

And this is is a video I found on how to use it.

Has anyone done this before and what was their success/tips?

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login