XJ hanging revs when cold

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
thibaut
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hey Guys, first time poster on the forum but long time lurker. I've searched for a while but have not found an introduction forum but If anyone could point me to that it would be much appreciated.

I have acquired myself a 1993 XJ600 Diversion (UK model). It is in good condition but has been standing still for a long time. This is why I did some maintenance on it and cleaned the carbs very well. The carbs are spotless, and also have new components (rubbers and the likes) in them. I did set float levels (wet) and they are within spec and put the idle screws on 2,5 turns on all four cylinders. The carbs have been bench synced, but I plan on visiting a dealership to sync them perfectly and also maybe adjust the idle screws while they're at it.

I do however still have some issues with my bike. When I pull the choke, it starts up right away (like right away, not even the starter needs to crank a couple of seconds). It then runs steadily and all 4 cylinders warm up. The revs do seem to fluctuate a little bit however. But i need to let it warm up a rather long time before the bike will accept any decent throttle input. I do keep the choke on halfway but it will run without choke. When pulling the throttle, at first the bike seems to pick up nicely but then bogs down like it is gasping for air and then suddenly there is a rev spike. (It's kind of hard to explain but I will try to make a video of it today). After warming up for about a minute or 5 it has no problems at all and rev's nicely without bogging. (not under load, have yet to try that because my license plate will arrive this week, then I can take it on the road).

Now, a lot of people have told me the XJ is a bike that is rather cold blooded. Now the UK model has different carbs and does not have the 17,5 idle jet problem that the US carbs have so I don't know if this is just normal behaviour on this bike. However I find that it also smells rather rich, so I'm thinking it might have a cylinder that misfires but still gets hot (IR shows different temps on 4 cylinders but nothing very low). And when the temps are higher it does not misfire anymore? Or could this have to do with the fact that the carbs are not synced yet?

I will try to post a video soon, but in the meantime I thought posting the question could already give me some answers :) . Thanks in advance!

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login