The Headache Seca II

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Number7
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Good evening folks!

I've got a gorgeous T reg Seca II with me right now which really is a nice machine. When it's finished she'll be for sale - but I digress. Since the owner of it was riding up the motorway one day, the bike started spluttering after the midrange. I was phoned to clean the carbs out, flush the fuel and set it all up. No worries.

As expected the carbs were full of crystallized fuel/sediment, so the lot was drained, flushed, new fuel filter, pump, balanced up but running on three cylinders... A quick spark plug change solved that, she's running on all four but has that bloody clutch basket chatter from the oil pump drive gear. Annoyed by it when I was trying to tune, I asked if I could replace the roll pin in there. After waiting for some 5.5mm roll pins to arrive, I cut them down to size so that it fits the retaining role and the base of the drive gear perfectly so there is absolute minimal movement in it.

She now sounds better than ever and ready to hit the roads! But, winding the throttle back it is STILL spluttering after 3.5k. After testing the Throttle Position Sensor with a multimeter I found it to be totally dead after the throttle was halfway open... More waiting for that to arrive. Fitted, tested 100%, set correctly, no more flat spot at 3,500rpm! Bleed up the rear brake, so that it actually works, sound, time to gear up and ride!

So I thought... Pulled on to the road, through first no worries, in to second and wound it back to get to 30, then in to the 40 zone. *Splutter* Yeah *Cough* nah mate you're alright...

So.
Work so far:
- Carbs cleaned, fuel flushed
- New fuel filter
- New fuel pump
- Plugs
- New TPS
- Fresh oil
- Fresh fuel
- Oil pump drive gear pin
- Rear brake bleed

Spoke with the owner and had a long chat, he's happy for me to try a few other things and see what I find as he's not bothered on time. So for my own piece of mind, when I next get time I'm going to:
- Rebuild the fuel tap
- Test the coil packs, maybe try some I have from one of my projects
- Test the ignition coil

If you made it this far, thank you for taking interest. I'm here to bounce a few ideas off the owners and see if there's any guidance for potential fixes so he and I don't go throwing mad money at it trying to find the fix. I picked up a spare engine between the lockdowns in case I did come to replace some components I could take them from a motor I know works. (Plus with a new cam chain I might even use it myself one of these days).

Cheers!

Few photos in the attachments for interest. (Sorry I don't know how to shrink them down).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login