Front Master Cylinder Cover leaking

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MrEvilPirate
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

My front master cylinder cover seems to be leaking. Every other day or so there will be a tiny drop of fluid on the right side.

I pulled off the cover to see what I could find, there appears to be a notch in the cover (left side of the top screw in the pic). What is it there for? I assume to let air in as fluid level drops?

The diaphragm doesn't make a good seal at this notch and I am getting a very very slow leak. When installed the notch is on the right side, and I think that if I have my bars to the right the fluid pools and eventually leaks at the notch.

Any ideas? I had the screws tightened down evenly... pretty tight because it was leaking. Not superman tight just .... tight. There was a bit of crud on the mating surface of the master cylinder, I cleaned it pretty well. There wasn't even much there, but it wasn't perfect. It is perfect now. What do you guys think?

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login