Infrared Thermometer Carb-Tuning... The Thread!

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
slimtech
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

i thought this should have it's own thread since member tryoun just asked the same question that i have been wondering...

what is the correct ballpark temps one should see when reading exhaust temps on the elbow of the exhaust manifolds as they come out of the motor???

i know 1Oldman has touched on the subject of tuning through this method in his "saga" thread. I have attempted to tune my carbs using this method, but all i have succeeded in is getting all 4 relatively balanced as far as temps are concerned.

someone will likely mention the fact that a valve job should be performed before any attempt to tune is made, this is certain, but for those of us trying to get the bike running decent for now until a valve job can be done, or for those that have already completed their valve jobs, what is an ideal temp range at idle?

what other variables should be considered? #20 jets? aftermarket exhaust? etc.

perhaps someone who has tuned their bike using oxygen sensors and a wideband air/fuel gauge could take an Infrared Thermometer reading from their exhaust manifolds at the bend of the exhaust pipes as they turn downwards after coming out of the motor.

maybe with enough data collected from forum members we could get a ballpark number (temp) which would make this a more viable option for a quick and dirty air/fuel tune.

*my carbs were ranging from low-400s to 600. now my temps are all between 490 and 515 at an idle of about 1400, but it seems like it's running lean. not exactly sure how many turns out on each screw, but i'm pretty sure my carb #4 is turned out almost as far as it will go and temps on that pipe are around 515. please note that i have not gotten a valve job since purchasing my bike a couple months ago and it has likely not had one in many years, if ever.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login