Exhaust system options

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Currently my bike has a Black Widow 4-2 exhaust system on it. Stainless headers, two years old, nothing wrong with it, but (as I bought the cheaper system with standard looking cans and fixed baffles) my bike sounds like a sewing machine. Part of the winter shenanigans will be to make it sound better, and I'd love some feedback on what I think my options are:

Option 1: full replacement system. Black Widow (and others) make 4-1 systems with removable baffles. Expensive, although I'd likely get some money selling mine on. Debatable performace change (more top end less mid range?) and I like the symmetry of twin cans.

Option 2: replacement cans. These would need to be Black Widow to match the headers, and are only £25 more expensive than a full 4-1 system :shock: Retain symmetry, and easy access to oil filter with 4-2 headers.

Option 3: universal cans. There are lots of options that can come in for £25-£50 a can so could get two for less than half the cost of the BW ones. Something like these. Loads of options for different-looking cans. My concern here (other than quality) is link pipes; I really dont want to chop my current BW cans (again, could sell them on) so would need to get them fabricated or by flexi pipe. The massive advantage here is price, leaves me lots of money to spend on other stuff :-)

What I really want to do is have an exhaust system that sounds better, looks good, and is reasonably priced.

So, any thoughts?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login