Considerations for Naked Conversion on XJ600 & Seca II

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

[center]Image[/center]

I've received a few PM's regarding logistics around converting the Seca II to a naked style bike, so I've decided a thread on the matter would be helpful. Since we did not get the XJ600N (Naked Version of the Seca II) here in the US, and since the Seca II is equipped with a fairing from the factory, there are some considerations that need to be accounted for when make it a naked bike.

1. Headlamp: The stock headlamp is supported by the fairing stay which mounts to tabs welded to the front of the headset. This headlamp points forward when the bike is turned. Typically, the headlamp on an unfaired bike moves with the handlebars and is mounted to either the forks or the triple in some fashion. The headlamp used on the XJ600N mounts on pegs which fit into the upper and lower triple. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, you will need to purchase a headlamp and purchase or fabricate the mounts to attach it to the fork or triple. The best headlamp for the conversion (IMHO) is a 7", side mount headlamp with an H4 bulb. This allows you to use the stock wiring and the side mounts line up well with the spacing of the forks. On my XJ, I made mounts which fit over the shock tubes and clamp between the triples to secure the headlamp.

[center]Image[/center]

In my most recent reinvention of this conversion I chose a Honda Hornet headlamp. This headlamp is a bit bigger than the 7" headlamp and features dual bulbs. It is a phenomenal headlamp for this conversion.

[center]Image[/center]

2. Speedometer, Tachometer & Gauges: The Seca II's stock speedometer mounts to the fairing stay and is NOT designed to be exposed to the elements on it's underside as it has no protection from water or sunlight. As with the headlamp, the speedometer on an unfaired bike typically turns with the handlebars. The speedometer & tachometer on the XJ600N mounts to tabs on the upper triple which are not present on the Seca II. When converting the Seca II to a naked bike, a set of gauges needs to be sourced and mounts fabricated. Aftermarket speedometers designed for dirt bikes & cruisers provide the easiest approach.

[center]Image[/center]

Of course, with a bit of fabrication work, you can fit just about any gauge set you wish (the photo, below, is with the FZ600 gauges and custom pods).

[center]Image[/center]

If gauge mounts are fabricated, the Yamaha Radian gauges provide a very good, useable and stock-looking gauge set for this conversion(the photo, below, features Radian gauges). A Buell S1 screen covers them well and makes the asymmetrical design seem intentional. Here's a wiring diagram for the Radian gauges.

[center]Image[/center]

3. Signals: The stock front signals mount to the fairing stay on the Seca II. They will need to be relocated when converting to an unfaired bike.

[center]Image[/center]

4. Wiring: There is a mess of wiring which is hidden by the fairing. On a typical unfaired bike, this wiring is tucked inside the headlamp bucket. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, storage and routing of this wiring needs to be considered.

5. Horn: The horn is mounted to a bracket on the right side of the bike and is typically hidden by the fairing. When the fairing is removed, the horn's location needs to be addressed. Typically, this is moved to below the headset.

[center]Image[/center]

6. Frame covers: The fairing on the Seca II covers the coils and wiring as it follows the frame beneath the gas tank. The XJ600N has moulded plastic covers which hide this area. When converting the Seca II to an unfaired bike, these need to be considered. A good source for stock XJ600N frame covers is EBay UK. We have several UK members who may help secure the covers and send them to you.

7. Fairing Tabs: The fairing is mounted to tabs on the frame, below the tank. When the fairing is removed, these tabs need to be addressed. They are typically cut off and their welds painted over or ground down. Of course, this will make the conversion permanent.

This topic has 22 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login