I don't have spark. What should I check?

Answers to common maintenance, repair and troubleshooting questions.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

My Seca II doesn't have spark. What should I check?

The typical culprits for a no-spark condition are as follows (ranked by likelihood):
  • 1. Sidestand failure
    2. Clutch switch failure
    3. Neutral switch failure
    4. Kill switch failure
    5. Coil/ignition system break, short or failure
    6. CDI box failure.
The Seca II uses a series of safety switches. These switches work by killing the spark and shutting down the engine. The side stand switch is located on the lefthand side of the frame, adjacent to the side stand (or kickstand). Verify it functions properly by testing for continuity when the stand is in the down position.

The clutch switch is located at the base of the clutch lever. This switch verifies that the clutch is pulled in to prevent the bike from lurching forward when starting. On 94+ models, the clutch must be pulled in when starting, regardless of whether the bike is in neutral. Test the clutch switch for continuity when the clutch is pulled in.

The neutral switch does two things; it triggers the neutral light on the instrument cluster and it lets the bike now when it is in gear. If the bike is placed in gear while the sidestand is down, it will kill the spark and stop the engine. Test the neutral switch for continuity to ground, when in neutral.

The kill switch stops the engine by killing the spark. Its a simple on-off switch. Test the kill switch by verifying continuity across it when in the "Run" position.

Test the coils by verifying resistances. Here is the coil test procedure.

If all of these switches check out and the resistances on the coils are correct, disconnect connectors and test your harness for continuity at the CDI and coils. If the wiring checks out, replace the CDI.