3D Printing, and making stuff for the XJ

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Ages ago (like, 12 months or so) my lad and I built a 3d printer. It was from a magazine subscription, took ages to make, and was beset with problems. In the end we gave up on it, and it was relegated to the corner of the living room to collect dust and generally annoy my good lady wife.

Fast forward 12 months, add a little bit of "that printer cost loads, you should put some effort into sorting it" type nagging, and I finally decided to make it work. This was at the same time as I realised that XJ frame covers (for the swingarm pivot bolt) are fairly pricey for what they are. Hey presto, an idea was born.

Using a web-based free software called Tinkercad (google it if you fancy a look) I mocked up a couple of designs and set about printing. I think I got to attempt 8 - a variety of alignment, limit switch, temperature settings, layer thicknesses, and plate adhesion, I have finally printed something almost good.

See the orangey looking doohickey in the frame?:

Here's a close up:

You can probably see from the picture that a certain amount of "finishing" is required to smooth the surface, I will probably go for some kind of glass-paper or ultra fine wet-and-dry paper. My previous attempts had either XJ 600 or XJ Rider on them, unfortunately my printer really struggled to print these with any kind of quality so I plumped with XJ.

Here's the actual piece:

I printed in this colour as it was what happened to be loaded into the machine from the last time I tried to print anything. As it turns out its a pretty good match for the wheels, although I have absolutely no idea how it will fare under exposure to sunlight but only time will tell.

The design was built up in layers; the layer behind the one with XJ set into it could be a little thicker so its not quite so see through, but you can't really tell so much once its in the frame.

I also need to change the dimensions for the back of the plug as its a little loose in the frame but thats easy enough sorted.

Once I've got it bang on I'll share the design so if you have access to a 3D printer you can use it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login