Motad Nexxus: a can of worms

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

A bit shocked today, after I had had a good chance to look at the Nexxus 4-into-1 system I removed from my bike.

I'd removed the exhaust pipes, which look absolutely great (shiny!) in order to solve a stuck sump plug issue (finally solved by not solving it - just draining the oil via the oil level sensor instead). The exhaust came away very nicely and easily- the bolts were new and had probably been copper-slipped when they were installed. First of all, I was surprised the system is so light - you could walk around town carrying it in one arm. But I didn't examine it closely as I was focussed on the sump pan.

I got my new exhaust gaskets and was ready to reinstall the exhaust system. I thought it would be a good time to clear up all the black greasy gunk that had collected around the fitting places and between the joining pipes and the downpipes with some Coke and wire wool. All was going well, until the pressure of my finger created a hole in the joining pipe. Quite a big one, just under half an inch across. Continuing to clean carefully, I discovered a smaller hole on the opposite side, covered up by rust. As if that weren't bad enough, the underside of the silencer has 3 tiny holes, as it appears that the silencer, too, is just ordinary mild steel, very, very thin like the rest of the exhaust system, albeit covered with a thin layer of chrome. And the weld going down the silencer's length is terrible!

Fortunately, I have quite a bit of experience repairing exhausts without resorting to welding. I know what to do to fix these issues, but what surprises me is that an exhaust that's no louder than stock, which was installed to deal with the original exhaust's rusting issues, is itself rotting from the inside out. It seems that even though it's made by a famous aftermarket exhausts manufacturer, this exhaust is really poor quality - the choice of mild steel for the entire system except the downpipes suggests short-termism with no regard for the maker's long-term reputation. The previous owner of the bike said he fitted this exhaust. So it was most likely fitted in the last 5 years. A really poor show for an aftermarket exhaust. And it's stamped with an embossed 'Nexxus' badge, and has all these EU and other markings engraved in it, as if it were a quality thing...
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login