Big project just got bigger...Starter Gear

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

So for the past few weeks I've been tinkering on my bike while it's been too cold out for riding. Here's a quick rundown of where I started and am currently just a bit condensed.

Bike started sputtering at times, suspected carbs. Rebuilt carbs, forgot to replace valve needle and seat gasket. Gas filled the cylinders and caused instant hydrolock, which then caused starter idle gear to break multiple teeth. Simple carb project got bigger real quick. :( Split case to begin gear replacement. Used down time to replace carb float needles/seat gaskets, petcock rebuild, starter rebuild, fuel filter replace, shift kit, and a bunch of other smaller things here and there. So this weekend comes, scored 4 days off in a row and had all my parts ready at hand... Or so I thought! Upon putting the new starter idler gear in I moved the crank around some to see how it spun, and things felt ok except in two spots. There is a 2nd idler gear that is on the actual main shaft/starter clutch that seemed to take some damage as well. This is where my big project got bigger.

I used the tear down guide from the old forum to get to where I was and now I wonder if this has been something that may have been overlooked by anyone that's had to replace that single gear. I managed to find the gear for $45ish on some random site out of Ohio. Yamaha dealer locally sells it for $109! I'll throw some pictures up here so you all can see what gear I'm referring to. Also: I've been taking shots during this whole process to continue to further the progress on the FAQ being built. This way every one can learn from my mistakes! YAY! :D

Split case view. Yellow is where the first starter idler gear normally is that touches the starter motor directly.

Another Case View. Yellow is where the first idler gear goes that the starter motor touches directly.

Starter Clutch Assembly.

Bent teeth on 2nd idler gear.

Comparison of good and bad teeth.

Sad gear teeth :( Looks like they got chewed in 2 different spots on the sprocket.

Last edited by draco751 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login