Joining the Jet Set

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Oddball
New to XJR
New to XJR

After much hair pulling, general angst and occasional hissy fits, I finally ordered some #20 pilot jets to see if they would make my '96 Seca Deuce behave at idle. All I can say is, why did I wait so long? Well, I guess I can also say, WOW. I've been fiddling with Japanese bikes of one type or another for decades and can say that I've never seen so dramatic a change as I have with this one simple change. The bike warms up quicker, idles smoothly and has instant throttle off idle. Was considering other more involved carb stuff but not anymore (well, at least not right away). If all Seca IIs ran like this, Yamaha would probably still be making them. Wow again.

My thanks to the forum and the knowledgable people here whose advice finally got me headed in the right direction.
FWIW, this was the final icing on the cake of a long restoration. I got this bike a couple years ago from the original owner who put only 2,900 miles on it before covering it with a tarp in his backyard for 12 years. Paid only $400 and after I powerwashed all the black widows out, was surprised to find the paint, seat and just about everything else were like new. Well, except for the rusty tank and the carbs, which were all apart in a box...

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login