Distant relative of an XJ twice removed

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

So I found this design extremely interesting... and he uses an XJ6 rear wheel for his front! I figure that's close enough to post here:

http://www.bikeexif.com/extreme-motorcycle-engineering

Anyway, I've been looking at the pictures for a bit, and I think he's done something interesting with the front suspension and brakes (besides everything that appears to be over-complicated).

If my eyes are seeing it correctly, he has the brake on a sub-mount that will rotate forward a bit when the front suspension is compressed. This would reduce the effective sprung weight, and even give an equalizing force if the geometries are right. It looks like he has an adjustable link connected to the brakes sub-mount, so he could perhaps adjust the degree of counter-rotation.

It's a very interesting concept. The bike is super cool too, though I feel like a lot of the think features are unnecessary and make it overly complex. Maybe the shop he worked with just had good capability with cutting and bending sheet metals.

Anyway, just thought i'd share it!
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login