Seal and bearing sizes

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

I was wondering, is there a document or a Yamaha resource somewhere that could help us find out the exact dimensions of all the bearings and seals on our bikes? I have some extra rear brake piston seals, and wanted to check the size of the front ones to think about whether I could use them up. It's a common trick to know the sizes of things like wheel bearings, to avoid paying over the odds. It's usually possible to do this because the same bearings and seals are used in a vast range of different bikes across all 4 of the big Japanese manufacturers, and what's more, they're usually all made by the same company under licence. So you can save a lot of money by knowing the right sizes to order, and approaching a wholesaler/retailer for bearings or seals rather than a bike shop. Usually, bike shops have a massive book with all the sizes of bearings and seals for a particular bike, and they treat that information as privileged; as a tool of their trade. You could get the answers to closed questions from such companies, but you couldn't get them to send you their book. A very famous and highly respected company in the UK for Honda bike parts (old and new) built its entire reputation, amazingly, simply by having all the information about every Honda bike ever made at their fingertips... Information that they hold but their customers don't... Then they always look good by always having the right part direct from the factory that made it (going by the dimensions they know), having a helpful attitude on the phone, adding their cut and shipping it out quickly.

So how do we find out the sizes for, say, XJ600S front brake piston seals? Is there a book or catalogue? If we know the sizes, we could get them for a fifth of the price than what we would pay by simply searching the bike shop for 'XJ600S front brake piston seals'. Even Ebay cowboys seem to know all the sizes and dimensions of all seals and bearings and filters and hoses, etc. for every bike, of every vintage, ever.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login