Suddenly, bike refuses to start

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

I didn't ride the bike today but thought I would do a bit of work on it. Revisit the rear brake and check fluid level, and replace the spark plugs. Very easy stuff! I didn't do anything else. Just removed the side and rear panels to access rear brake fluid reservoir, and lifted up the HT leads and inserted new plugs. Didn't even remove the tank. Then I thought I would test the new plugs (correct CR8E ones, genuine NGK parts from a major UK bike parts supplier). I had gapped them to 0.8mm, and I just wanted to hear it run. It was running perfectly on the old plugs yesterday. No issues at all, no sluggishness, no electrical faults, nothing... Checked the wires from ignition key switch and kill switch under the fairing, and they all seemed OK. It just wouldn't start. No click, no noises, just nothing. Only the neutral light when the key is turned, and the oil light while the momentary starter switch is depressed.

The starter motor isn't turning or clicking. All the lights work. It's like the kill-switch is cutting power out to the engine. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I've scoured the bike top to bottom in case I inadvertently dislodged something and broke a connection... Nothing. The wiring loom all seems very good. I tested the battery and it's putting out 13.7 V, so it has more than enough juice. The earth connection to the starter motor is fine (I hooked up the multimeter to the starter's earth and the battery's + terminal.

My knowledge of bike electrics is rudimentary to say the least, but I'm in this to learn, and I have a multimeter. I didn't remove the starter motor - looks like a serious undertaking and I feel like I should be testing other things first. Any tips? Thanks in advance.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login