Do You make Lists?

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suppose this is the right section because it is about a story

First a word of explanation, I gave my Seca 2 to our boy so I haven't been on the site for quite a while although I do have two running first generation XJ600 bikes.

Anyway, I have a slot in a UK magazine for the the Vintage Motorcycle Club, 'vintage' is loosely interpreted to mean any bike over 17 yrs old, why 17 yrs I don't know :)

The reason for this thread is that I'm having trouble with my latest item and could do with your help, here it is, (below) together with the two cartoons that accompany it, any comment on the text is welcome;-

PS it would also be interesting to know whether you make lists :thumbsup:

Making Lists

Are you a list person? Do you have nagging niggles waiting to be addressed? Some short term priorities and others that need doing but are not urgent? It can become a muddle. Writing stuff down helps clarify thinking. Merely the act of composing a list helps order things although it's not good if it becomes a mass of 'to do' chores that you will struggle to achieve.

Courses on 'effective time control' and 'project management' seemed an imposition at work, they were usually too general or unrelated to one's actual job. However, thinking ahead has got to be sensible. It's a case of deciding what you want to achieve then jotting down any random thoughts that might help get the job done.

A Greek philosopher observed that, 'if one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favourable' ie: it's good to have a plan. One biker I met said he was aiming to own (by buying, restoring and selling) the motorcycles that he fancied in his younger days but, at the time, were out of reach. He has worked his way through a fair number over the years.

Planning ahead may not be second nature but, generally speaking, things have a better chance of working out if a list is attempted, after all we aren't getting any younger. It could be a significant ride, possibly involving over night accommodation, in which case - should you book ahead?, work out a route? or regard the whole thing as an adventure?

I am too timid to not at least sketch an itinerary, contingency plan and note down suitable gear to be taken. Whatever, plans go awry, there will be omissions, mistakes and unforeseen circumstances.
I don't list down everything, like recording receipts, but we don't want to know how much we lavish on our bikes. However, I do 'pro - con' lists if ever I am tempted to buy another machine.

Some people are naturally organised, one bloke I knew said he didn't want to rely on lists because if he did he would fear losing his memory. Not for me, making lists is my safety net, ticking items off and adding more, I try and write anything that occurs down in case the you forget – Branson, the business entrepreneur, recommends noting all ideas for later evaluation.

Motorbikes are to be enjoyed, not something one wants to get into an efficient mind set about. Nevertheless, I expect you, like me, have set out on a bike trip and then, well into the journey, recalled something that you meant to take – it could be ear defenders, a map, an address, anything. Now I have a checklist, spare gloves, cash, 'phone and visor cleaner...

There's a similar rote with the bike itself – brakes, tyres, chain, oil, lights, fuel and remember the bike lock. Similarly, for eBay, there's another list so I know what items that I could do with should they come up at the right price. Also, a further list of bike type jobs given inclement weather: it's raining, no matter, I'll get the refurbished swing arm sprayed ready for swapping over.

There is a tendency to procrastinate when things become daunting but by plotting out complex issues you can usually see a way forward. List making can be an antidote to panic, forcing one to think though a job and how it might be accomplished. Start with the easiest aspect of a task and the rest then unfolds giving a sense of achievement as work progresses in a logical way.

Lists are powerful things, you commit to a course of action and almost before you know it you are sub-consciously following your own plan. I wanted to build one good motorbike out of two I'd acquired, an MOT failure and another in boxes – both the same model. I bite sized the project through lists, it became manageable and eventually went ahead but I forgot to factor in the cost Doh! It wasn't a particularly economic outcome.

I need to remember future events like servicing, MOT dates and make lists for planning alterations/upgrades but dare I risk it and accept life as it comes? Not worry too much – use my memory and be more of a free spirit unencumbered by premeditation? Somehow that just doesn't appeal, it goes against the grain, I'm a list maker. You may sacrifice spontaneity for predictability but I'm sure that lists are the way to go.

Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login