Getting my 1994 XJ600 Seca II back on the road

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
mil3sdavis
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I purchased my '94 XJ600 in 2009 while I was in college. I paid $1500 for it at a Harley/Honda dealership. I need to look up how many miles were on it when I purchased it. 9 years later, it has 9,990 miles on it. I haven't really ridden it in about 6 years. I used to ride with my dad on the weekends when I was in college but since I have graduated and moved away from home, finding a friend to ride with hasn't really happened. Recently several of my co-workers decided to take the MSF Basic Rider course and are planning to get bikes this spring so I decided that I would get mine out and get it ready...

I immediately discovered a problem when I attempted to move it out of the garage.... the front brake caliper was seized. After getting the caliper off the disc and messing around with it I couldn't get it working by just cleaning it, so I decided to do a complete rebuild... then I started thinking about it and realized that the brake fluid hadn't been touched since I bought it and decided that I might as well go ahead and rebuild the master cylinder and replace the brake line.

As of right now, I have rebuild the master cylinder and am waiting on the rebuild kit for the caliper to arrive from the UK.

As of right now here is a list of things I plan to do to the bike...
1. Front brake rebuild (master cylinder rebuild, caliper rebuild, replace brake line)
2. Rear brake rebuild (going to see how the front brakes go fist)
3. Clean and lube chain
4. Replace Taillight with LED
5. Install strobe on taillight
6. Replace tires
7. Change Oil
8. Replace fuel lines/fuel filter
9. Replace Air filter
10. Clean carbs and install new jets (I don't know if I really want to tackle this one)
11. Replace rear shock
12. Rebuild front forks (not sure I'm prepared to actually do this)
13. New Grips

Any other suggestions of things I should do?
Last edited by mil3sdavis on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

This topic has 34 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login