93 Seca II, My salvation

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
GAU-8
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Houston, Tx
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 seca II

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

I enjoy how quickly, and nicely yours is coming along! Gives me something to read, while mine slowly is making progress, afyer my girls bike is taken care of.

I like the red LED instrumentation. I moght need more info on that.

All in all, kep it coming!

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks man, I'm glad I can give some inspiration and distraction/motivation.

The Red LED cluster was simple: went to Advance Auto Parts, but 3 194 LED red bulbs from Sylvania (194R) and put them in in place of the standard filament bulbs. Done. Little pricey ($25 for 3 bulbs) but being LEDs they will last a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time, plus I trust that brand.

Also, I'm not sure what the stock bulb was supposed to be, but I pulled 3 158s out of the cluster and the only difference between a 158 and a 194 bulb is that the 194 is brighter, by something like .3W. Use the 194, they are easier to find
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am

Some great work in this thread! Love to see ingenuity at work :-)

Did you rattle-can paint the fork lowers or use a brush? I want to do my fork lowers and wheels but really, really struggle with rattle cans (cant get a good enough finish and it never seems durable) and am seriously considering having a go with a brush.

I have a 4 inch rear wheel that would be the perfect test piece!
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks man, always glad to hear that my work is being appreciated by others.

I rattle-canned the forks using engine enamel. The thing with using a bruise is that you have to be really careful or you will get stroke marks from the bristles in the paint. Make sure you sand first and do a few coats of pan with the spray, not going too heavy with them. I do 2 light-medium coats and then do a hardly coat. And when in doubt: primer first.
Renegade

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Renegade and I have a problem... I can't leave well enough alone. I blame motorcycles of the net and XJRider... Alright, I kid...mostly.

But in all seriousness, I said I was almost done; just a couple more parts to get and install, and then I was looking around and thinking and then browsing eBay and now I have a another mod project on the way. Go figure... But I will share that when I get the parts in and on. It should make me a lot happier with the bike.

Today was some minor work:
I got the diode kit in for the turn signals and installed it. Thank heavens; not having an indicator on my dash was drovong me mad(er). As it is I'm still used to a bike with a flasher canceller on it, then not aeeing my signals AND no dash light...well you get it. Easy fix, important to me.

I finally tightened up my throttle cable a bit, the cable most suppose to flap in the breeze near the carbs right? I had been holding off for a bit as I eased back into riding, but enough is enough, time to adjust that.

I also adjusted my shift lever for an easier shift.

So minor stuff; nothing picture worthy there.

But this happened:
Finally! A belly pan! Not gonna lie folks, I have always loved the way that front scoop completes the shaping lines of a sport(y) bike...maybe its just the artistic part of me...so I'm glad to have a bike that has one fitted. Plus I got it for cheap

$40 and needed a lot of work
Plastic welding and bondo to the rescue!
To mount the fairing I took a page out of Drapheus's book, and by that I mean I basically just copied him. (Great bike and a great wrote up in the build, Check it out HERE. The link takes you to page 6, containing the belly pan mounting method)

Some decals for the belly pan need to be ordered, and I'm still waiting on more parts to show up. But further alone and further along we go.

I think once I'm done I will wrote up a list of the parts I used that were marked as being for other bikes but worked for the XJ, I know it has been a pain for me, maybe I can help out someone in the future
Renegade

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Your bike looks fantastic, Renegade. How's it ride? You need to get it out and give us a proper ride report :)

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks man. So far it rides pretty well...little things need to be addressed:

The motor is still burning random old shit out; I will be riding and she will be running great and then VROOOOOOOMMM, now she is running better and the improvement stays.

After finally moving and getting a beating in, I notixed that my forks need to be serviced; there is a lot of dive in the front end, even on a shift and good heavens the rear shock is saggy.

I have it set to the hardest setting now and its fine, but I had someone get one the back to help test mirror position and she sagged so much that I'm sure if we have gone riding and hit a bump I would have bottomed out. Its fine for just me for right now, the hardest setting is fine for my light 148lbs ass..but it will need to be addressed.

I'm greatly impressed though. I went on the highway today, just a quick blast, and I was surprised at how fast 85mph came up... She is quite nimble, easy to blast through corners. And wow I love that roar.

So yeah, few things to work out and take care of, but I'm loving it. I'm thinking this weekend I will go out for some serious riding and then give it a real test...maybe go to the bears shop to buy new grips (1 hour ride at least, one way)
Renegade

LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Maine
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 am

Renegade - it was your first post on this thread that grabbed me. I got back into bikes 5 years go after 4 decades and they are my happy drug of choice! Had an '93 XJ600, then added an '88 Virago 750 so I'd always have a least one road-ready, and finally topped it off with a '15 FZ-07. Had 3 in the garage for a while before selling the first 2. Now I get my wrenching fix by reading bike builds like yours! Really good work on pulling a dying patient back from the white light!
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:59 am

Thank you very much Leigh; it really means a lot to me that you all are digging the work I'm doing on this project.

This bike has been my happy drug as well. To be honest, I was in a bit of a dark mental place before buying this bike and doing work on it and finally being on a bike again after so long has done wonders for me. Hence the ornamentation around the gascap... But maybe that's getting a tad too personal. On to why you are all really here:

Yesterday was an exhausting day ad though I know I should have slept, it was far too worth it to stay up. I work overnights, so I'm waking up around 9pm, going to work at 11pm, coming home at 7am, and then setting to work on the bike. Or I'm going out riding. Or both. So yesterday was a full 24hour run for me; working, working on the bike, and then riding.

The other night I had this idea and after doing some measurements, I thought for sure it was going to work. I wasn't quite happy with the riding position still...bit too upright for me...not by a lot, but enough that it was irking me. I naturally feel comfortable sitting forward (elbows on knees) or leaning way back; in fact the only time I feel comfortable sitting upright is when I'm driving my Volvo..but the seats are just perfect for that. Thi translates to a motorcycle, and having long "spider arms" (seriously, I'm 5'10" and have a wingspan of 6'4"), means I need the bars low to get in that comfort spot. I thought for sure that clip-ons were the way, and though I know going naked is a popular thing to do, I quite like the fairings. So I ordered, from ebay, a set of bars from an FRZ600 and the top tree clamp. Sadly, I can tell you that this set-up WILL NOT work with the fairings. My idea for fitting it was to actually position the bars on the tank side of the forks, putting the left clamp on the right and vice versa. I didn't realize/see in the pictures that these bars are single directional. I'm still certain that a set-up like my idea could be done, but one would have to acquire aftermarket mounts that would let you position them right...

So that was a bit of a let down, and a waste of time taking things apart and such. Plus now I have a set of bars that I can't use... they will go up for sale soon. Though I will probably hold on to the tree clamp.....just in case...

So onto the other projects for the day:

I hated the stock mirrors. I mean absolutely loathed them. This is just my opinion of course, but I thought they were WAY too tall for the lines of the bike and were shaped like cartoon alien ears... That's why they never made it back onto the bike and were promptly replaced with the stock mirrors from my XS400. One problem with those is that they didn't quite work....That is to say that if I wanted to check them, I had to tuck my elbow way in as my arm was taking up over 1/2 the mirror. And no adjustment worked. And dear god if I had a passenger....(tested it sitting with a second body). So again I looked for a better route.

I ran bar-ends on the Maxim, and with the down angled bars i made for it, they worked great, but on a more horizontal bar, they widen the bike and I feel like it makes tight spaces less accessible. Its about function here. So i looked to other bikes for ideas, and sourced a set of fairing mounted mirrors, from an R6 no less. (mirrors AND signals from an R6? alrighty then)
So drill a couple holes
Mount the mirrors with a backing plate, for stability
And tada (bars still off from trying the other ones)
Not too shabby I would say. And even better: I can see out of them! Much better

Now if you have read this whole thing, or followed my build from the start, you know that I got the bike with broken fairings, bought a cracked up belly pan, and I plastic welded them all to fix them. So it should be no surprise that i wanted up a little protection, just in case, so hopefully i won't be doing it all over again. So I got frame sliders.

Now I know OES Accessories sells frame sliders for our bikes, but I was cheap and frankly didnt know that before I ordered mine...from ebay....from China. Oh well, Im not about to trade in my $20 set for a $50 set and wait on shipping again. For the record, I would have gotten the OES had I known at the time. But I make do with what I have, and so I modified them a little to fit properly:

They stuck out a bit too far and the supplied bolt wasn't long enough, so I chopped of a bit of the spacer on both.
I had to notch the both to fit around the motor and of course hole-saw/cut the bellpan fairing.
And done

And with this I think I'm done the major modifying projects.
Engine paint, decals I have on the way for the belly pan, a couple simple add-ons, and a fix for the broken reflector are all that I think are left. (who's gonna be the one to say it?) I'm gonna like with a couple mock-ups for engine colors in a few minutes and i want to double check the NJ laws on reflectors and colors and such... I don't need more attention from Johnny Law than I already get...

Or course you can't finish a project on your bike and then not go out riding...so i did.

The front forks really need some attention; they are getting worse and worse by the day: way too much sag and definitely leaking a tiny bit of oil.
New seals and pre-load adjusters will be ordered in a few minutes.
The carbs are still a bit wonky...not a fan of barely cracked throttle or being set to a low idle (2.5 seems to be the happy spot), surging idle... That will be investigated more when my new pilot jets get in and I will dial in everything for optimal performance.
My idle screw keeps self adjusting, which is maddening... Nothing quite like tooling around for a while and pull up to a red light and suddenly you're idling at 4-5K... I don't know if the spring I have on it just doesn't have enough tension or what the deal is. I had to made my own throttle set so who knows...wondering if I should just bite the bullet and try to find the new correct parts...
But for now...things are quite good.

And since I was out at the right time and a new place, AND I remembered for once to charge my phone (charger in the glove box....hell yes!), some nice(ish) photos for you (or just me, that's fine too) to oogle. I do plan on having a better photo shoot once I'm ALL done.

Edit by Radare: Removed inappropriate comment.
Renegade

XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Brilliant write up Renegade.
I've been thinking about getting some fairing mounted mirrors for some time, mainly because there is a horrible rattle coming from the R/H mirror that is bugging the hell out of me, like a child kicking the back of your chair annoying haha

Hope you're feeling well, stay strong :)

Love the photos praise the gods for glovebox chargers

Edit by Radare: Removed inappropriate comments

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: