93 Seca II, My salvation

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am

Alright, so calling my bike "my salvation" might be a stretch... But after 4 long years without being on 2 wheels, battling depression and remembering how happy a motorcycle made you....it starts to feel that way. But enough about me.

I wasnt really looking to buy a new motorcycle at the time...let alone one that needed work...but I stumbled across this 1993 Yamaha Seca II 600 on FB for $400, listed as a project bike. Oh alright...twist my arm why dont you... But it was deffintly a project bike..
Still, I bought it after looking at it and a little research. Looked better after getting it out of this dude's garden...
So onto repairs and such:
I knew it would need the fuel system overhauled, it had been sitting in the weather for 2 years before I bought it...with out a cover, and with (what had been) gas in the tank and lines. So new fuel pump, lines, and rebuild lots for acquired. It turned out the tank was so nasty and rusty that I would have to reline it or buy a new tank...so I tried relining with Kreme...no dice; the rust had eaten though in spots creating pinhole leaks like a kitchen strainer. A new tank was bought, the old one saved for maybe a repair attempt down the road?...never hurts to have spare parts...
The front fairing was cracked and broke when I took it off, but I'm poor/cheap, so I gave plastic welding with a soldering iron a try... It worked amazingly well and to save myself from spending $80+ a side of a fairing (going off eBay prices), I'm MORE than happy about it
Now to paint. It needed at very least some work to make the paint look better...but I wasnt a fan of the color to begin with. So black we go...black with red; my favorite color combo.
I know...I only bagged the engine and front wheel...the frame painting is just a temp job for now anyway. This pic was just fitting the pieces to see and to lay out the red.
Did I mention im doing all of this out of a tiny shed that is filled to the bring with parts from 3 other bikes and some old Volvos? AND my tools?
Anywho...
Color on and happy with the flow... Plus I had put on some after market control lever. I needed new ones anyway, so why not upgrade as I replace? And hey...arent those the stock mirrors from my Maxim??
Clear coat and a new cover for the seat. Why pay for a new seat or for someone to cover it for you when you can just shoot up to your local fabric store, grab some marine grade vinyl (with a coupon 'cause that shit ain't cheap), grab your staple gun, and do it yourself? $10 vs whatever it would have been...a lot I'm guessing
The wheels were in dire need of new rubber, and some paint lovin'
And I even through on some LED glow style...why not while I'm waiting on parts. The LEDs are on a switch on a small panel I built and mounted to the triple tree as well as a cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter, LEDs, and a 12v port I mounted in the "glove box" are all hooked up to an accessory circuit I hooked up and ran using the spare port in the fuse box.

Now I'm stuck waiting for a new chain and new carb boots before I can get to riding... Waiting waiting... Worst part is that as I'm waiting, ideas for possible mods are floating around in my head...
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 am

I dont know about you all, but from the day I bought the bike, I have hated this render/license plate mount thing... I don't like the near vertical angle, the difference in material with it being visible...nothing
So I did something about it. Of course this is a prime example of me suddenly realizing I have to take a before pic...just a hair late and mid tear-down. I forgot to take "in the process" pics too...
Basically, I cut off the fender so it was flush with the bottom of the fairing and the tail light. Then, using some metal I have just lying around, I made a bracket for the license plate and turn signals. Its basically just an L shape (slight angle though) with corner braces that double as turn signal mounts. I drilled 4 holes in the inner fender, into the storage compartment, to mount the bracket, and 2 more holes to run the turn signal wire through now that they are further in the originally.
Yes, I know the wires are disable, they are just put into the tail in this pic, I will connect and tuck them later when I clean the tail light connections
I think it really tidies up the rear end and gives the ass a better flowing line
Renegade

XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am

Absolutely brilliant, can't wait to see what else you do :)

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks XJL.

So today i got back to working on the bike,I'm in the home stretch now...

Sadly with all the fighting with the bike to get her running, i marred up the tank that I had painting pretty badly, I had to repaint. Its ok though because it have me a chance to get the Yamaha badges under the clear coat. While I waited for the black to dry, I set about taking care of some other odds and ends...

First up was modifying and installing the NEP throttle lock that came on my Maxim when I bought it. Sure...i had to put the effort in to modify it, but it cost me nothing but time and I'd rather spend nothing than but a new lock for a dual cable... Yes; junkyard dog mentality folks.
If you dont have a throttle lock, I highly suggest getting one. And I don't know if there is a thread on how to install like I did (modifying and installing), but if there isn't and anyone is interested I can make one up.

I also put on the tuning fork decals I had. Technically they came as part of the name decals, but I couldn't deal with the idea of having two equal placed decals with one logo near the three and it's mate being closer to me... So I found better spots for them.
And yes, that is the badge that resided on the glove box door of my Maxim.
Next I had to deal with the front brake issue...even at the maybe 10 mph i got the bike going in the back yard; pull the brake and it felt like it was doing nothing... At a standstill you could feel them grab and hold, and the master cylinder was pumping, I bled them after all... So praying it wasnt the M.C. (I have a back-up unit, but I like this set-up better), I looked to the caliper. Turns out I only had one piston moving... I wonder why...
The other one was worse. So a good cleaning and rebleed the brakes and things seem as right as rain. i will double check that in a couple days before hitting the road, of course.

Back to the tank, and the name tags go on...
The black cap is the one that came on the replacement tank, it was already destroyed and painted over so it made a great masker so I could be lazy AND not ruin my good cap. And on went some clear coat...and Hey, I found the formula for happiness...
If you get it, you get it if not...eh... Yeah...Im a special kind of special...

The bike still sat so that I was too upright for my taste, so i lowered the triple tree on the forks by 3/4 of an inch. I did it on the last bike but further to a great result, and seated position-wise, this is no different: MUCH better for me.
This is also the first time in a LONG time that the garage has ever been this clean...normally I HAVE to work outside out of my shed.

I have a new front tire and will be getting it put on i the next couple days, then I will paint the rim to match the rear. i'd rather do it after in case the shop guys have Bud fingers... Seeing the body of the bike looking so nice really shows me how badly that motor needs a little beauty help...soon I swear. It irks me now

A little admiring of how the project has come out. I did get an LED headlight, and then after read on here about them not working quite right with the reflectors in the headlight unit? I'll have to check that out when I get on the road and let you all know what I find out. I still have the standard bulb and luckily (worst case) I got this LED unit for dirt cheap.

Whats left:
Get the tire put on and paint the wheel
Double check some of the electrical connectors and wire/cable routings
Replace the broken reflector
New chain (this one is passable...for test rides, but I dont trust it passed that)
New carb boots (chain and boots will be here by Friday)

But my god is is great to have a motorcycle back in the garage

Seriously...Friday cannot come fast enough...
Renegade

XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 am

I'm really liking the whole black and red scheme, the LEDs are a nice touch, I've never heard of a throttle lock so would be highly Interested to see how it works on the XJ.
Fantastic job though really brilliant 👌

GAU-8
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Houston, Tx
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 seca II

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Awesome find, and getting back up and running! Going on a whim ( many years aince Chemistry 101.. But I get it. Nice touch!

As mine still sits for right now. :/

:D

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. I will look later tonight and see if anyone else has done a write up on the throttle lock. I loved it on my Maxim.

Today was mostly fighting with the carb and carb boots still. I had to readjust the floats, now they are dialed in properly. It made a difference, but I'm still having issues. Thanks to the special ring clamps that Yamaha uses, I have a rayher large vacuum leak on 1 maybe 2 of the cylinders. I only a limited amount of the Yamaha ring clamps and the last I saw they price at $9 each... No thank you. So I'm gonna try something tomorrow...little junkyard dog enginuity... We'll see

The new chain came in too and I did get it on with only one mishap... The chain tensioner plate was apparently cracked...and it slit in 2 today... But I guess this gives me reason to buy the aftermarket ones I saw and wanted... Upgrade out of need not just want.. But hey, a new chain is a great step forward
Red was a dollar cheaper than silver? Ok then...

Well I guess tomorrow is another day and I will be back at it. More updates to come
Renegade

Unit562
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Seattle, Washington
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600 SECA II, 1984 Honda Magna V30
United States of America

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 pm

I know how you feel with the sitting for 2 years with fuel in the tank and lines, I got mine in the same condition. I also had to deal with the last owner had a questionable shop work on the bike, and they double filled the oil then sent him on his way. Bike runs decent now though, although it still needs to be torn all the way down and rebuilt. *shudders* Parts are available, but good god are they not cheap.
One bad idea fuels most Bike Nights.
My Civic isn't a lawnmower, it's a weed whacker. Get it right, gosh.

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Sucks right Unit? Its still hanging me up. I dont know about the history of the bike before I got it but the idle adjust screw and mount was missing...so...

Currently all my issues are carb related. Cylinder 3 ia running WAY too hot, the bike only runs with the choke on...most of the time...but the idle is screwy...sometimes high sometimes low.. Time to go through the carbs with a fine tooth comb...

I did get the bike to run for a little bit yesterday, long enough to take it up the block and back (test drive), but once I got home, adjusted the clutch, and went to set off again; it started with its normal fits. Even though it was very brief, it felt good to be on the road.

I remember how my old Maxim was to ride, and this is way different, even though I'm in roughly the same seating position, so I'm really looking forward to a good ride and really testing the bike out.

So sadly I didnt do much but mess around trying to get the blasted thing running correctly. Had issues with the carb boots and ring clamps...I only have 5 good Yamaha ring clamps and standards are too wide and end up sqeezing the boot off the carb. In the end I ended up using 4 of the Yamaha ring clamps on the carb and 4 standard (AutoZone) ring clamps on the manifold side no vacuum leak. Then it looked as though i had a leak on the diaphragm caps and it makes me worry about possibly needing new diaphragms. But I checked them, tightened the caps down as tight as I dared and it seems to be ok... Maybe a leak sucking air from the airbox boots?...double checked those and made sure they were good and tight... Now no leaks anywhere...and the bike STILL won't run... This is maddening!

But...I did get my rim tape in the mail. Originally i had wanted a red ring on my wheels...but I'm lazy so tape is far better then painting it anyway. Plus this is reflective (added bonus)
Dear god I have to do something about that engine....

Next thing look-wise to deal with are these turn signals... I was the one who bought them, who installed them, but weeks later, I'm just not digging them. The rear looks great, but the front looks funny...
So that will have to be dealt with and I will post the new ones when I get them installed.

I'm also ready glad to say that I found a lower fairing on eBay last night. $40ish and it needs a lot of work...but I got it. (Sorry if you were watching it and I snagged it from you) So when it gets in I will be breaking out the soldering iron again and doing a fair bit of plastic welding.

So yeah...more projects in the looks department...and more importantly, more fighting with the carbs to get the bike to run properly.
Renegade

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Well now...what a week it has been. For a while there it felt like all I was doing was working and working on the bike...but finally it all paid off.

I managed to get the bike running....ish. It would run on choke, 1/2 choke, not with the choke off, buy would every so often just die out. I could see the fuel level in the filter drop down to nothing as it died amd then it tool a while to get fuel back into filter, up to where it should be. I was starting to think it was a clog so I went to take off the lines to run my clear diagnosis hose, but when I moved the hose on the putlet side of the filter...fuel rushed into the filter... Turns out something about that filter was causing a flow issue; not lwtting the fuel come into the filter due to something on the outlet end....? I dont get it, but I tested my sudden discovery by bypassing the filter completely and VROOM. "Ladies and Yentlemen", we have continuous running. Not perfect...but running...

I could now get the bike to start with the choke, idle, rev with a little hesitation, stay running when in gear, and move. But turn the choke off and the bike died as soon as you were off the gas...no matter how long you let it warm up. 1/2 choke was as good as it got.

Now bear in mind that I have been fighting with this fuel system now for longer than I care to admit, and so I got the the point of "Fine, I'll just run it like this for now! Maybe a little running is what she needs." I put a fresh tank of 93 octane in, a full can of Seafoam, and by god; if it will run I will ride...for now.

Getting back on thw road finally was great! Even though the bike was bogging, acceleration had a hesitation, and oh...that Speedometer doesn't work... 40mph road speed is reading as 85mph on the clock?!? Fine...order a new (to me) cluster and use the G and P method. (That's "Guess and Pray you don't get pulled over" for those of you who dont know)

Two days of riding when suddenly, under semi-hard acceleration, something cleared itself from the system...majorly cleared. I went from a dull purring 4k rpm to a sudden screaming 8k without moving my wrist and suddenly this bike wanted to go, and I mean SERIOUS F'ING GO! I did pull over and check that nothing weird happened..no blown fuel lines spraying into a leaking vacuum or anything..Nope! All good! The bike still sounds a tad uneven, not quite right...but damn close... I will finish dialing it in when my new #20 jets get in.

A couple days of riding go by; everything is still good...except a few things... I was still using the G+P method for speed, liking my turn signals less and less, I'm look at 1/2 the mirror showing my arm...

Onto the first thing:the gauge cluster:
The original one was pretty beaten up... So thanks to eBay, another was acquired and fitted. Complete with some LED 194 Red dash lights
Cluster was tested on the road and everything seems to work as it should.

On to the turn signals... I really liked the ones I got on the back...but really hated them on the front. So again to eBay I go and I sourced 2 sets of r6 flush mount LED turn signals.
And since they are smoked (lightly...not as dark as I expected) I smoked my tail light as well.
Weird thing...my last turn signals were also LED and with the stock relay flashed to fast, so I got the LED relay and they all worked as they should. Now with these...well...hook everything up and all 4 flash when you try to signal, and the dash indicator does not turn on. Take that bulb out and the signals flash as they should. And no, ita not the bulb or the relay, both were tested. Any ideas? I will be looking into it more, for right now I just have no swash light telling me if they are on. But they work and I think they look great...sleaks out the bike even more.

I did also paint my forks black. They looked ok silver when the bike was green...but now they just look unfinished. I'm much happier with the black.

Coming up soon:
New chain adjusters with spools
Belly pan fairing (already plastic welded and bondoed)
Frame sliders
Front axle slider
New fairing mounted mirrors
#20 pilot jets
Special electrical project...

I am officially loving this bike and I think I'm almost done with the project...for now...maybe...
Renegade