Casper's 1994 Yamaha XJ600

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 am

Drapheus wrote:That copper color is delicious! Need MOREEE
I feel the same way, caught myself sitting there looking at the rear wheel all put together with tire and all sitting in the swingarm and just playing with the light and how the color changes.
Nelsonmd wrote:
greeny4704 wrote:No i can't find it again its be bothering me for 2 weeks lol
I FINALLY FOUND IT!!!
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0669047402
Woof, that is one stink-bug looking XJ.
Lower the tail some, change up the color scheme and I like it.

Stainless Steel Braided brake lines. Front end is off another bike, not an FZR and appears to be different triples as well.

Swingarm swapped out with what appears to be a GSF600. You can see the added bracket just bolted to the swingarm for the shock, I would have had that welded instead.

Similar to how I am going to route my exhaust pipe through the swingarm, but I will add more clearance and a slightly larger pipe diameter.

I have messaged the seller to see if my suspicions are correct.
MOzarkRider wrote:Very Nice Rims Casper, looking forward to the finished product.
Me too. With the rear wheel compressed against the cush drive spacer, it appears to be dead center. I also attached a rotor to the wheel for mock purposes, I need a 3/8" spacer on both sides of the brake caliper bracket. The torque arm will also either have to be modified with a bend in it or a different one mocked up. Still need to paint the rear rotor I am going to use, but it was a bit humid tonight as it was raining. The rear caliper still looks amazing from my previous painting; I need to paint the new SV rear master and put it in place. I am tempted to use the SV reservoir a little higher on the frame where it will be away from the exhaust pipe. Would also change the reservoir from a cylinder to a more angled look.

The forks are back on the bike after paint and look amazing, I will be clear coating the front wheel tomorrow. Then on Wednesday or Thursday, I will mount the front wheel and put it onto the bike. I have already wire wheeled the front rotor bolts, cleaned up the little over spray on the front rotors. I know the front brakes are going to get painted and I am tempted to get SS lines instead of putting the OEM ones back on. I already have one SS line that I had made for the front, but it is off just enough and will check if the shop can cut it and crimp another banjo onto it for the rear.

I have cleaned up the tail plastics and shot it with a thin coat of gloss white and covered the undertail in bedliner. Still need to work on the tank a bit and figure out my mounting for the plastics. I have been scouring ebay, craiglist, forums for a set of 2004-2006 YZF-R1 exhaust cans, but always get sniped at the last minute. I have instead been looking at undertail exhausts from Ducati and have my eyes on a couple sets of Monster 696 cans. Hopefully they come through. I have decided to go back to the original plan with the rearset mounting plates, but with the change of having them be adjustable plates with multiple heights and angles to choose from.

I am going to have to wake up early tomorrow for an appointment, so I will be grabbing some supplies from the local metal shop.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Samurai-X-V1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600 Diversion

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:19 am

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 am

Casper wrote:Lower the tail some, change up the color scheme and I like it.
Yeah, looking at your mock up picture, your tank and tail make a straight top line. That guy's tail is way steeper than the tank. That is what makes it look stink buggy. It looks like it is raising its butt to spray something... If you keep that straight line along the tail-tank, then is just looks like a higher stance, which looks good.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Casper

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 am

Samurai-X-V1 wrote:what about something like this ? :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Exha ... 3a73e35b93
Not loud enough for me. :grins:
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Casper

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh boy, oh boy. I just won a set of YZF-R1 cans on ebay (a wonderful steal) and hope they come as good as they are pictured. :grins:

greeny4704
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: marion ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 xj600 4k / 93 xj600 13k

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:03 am

Hell yea those are awesome! Once i get my linkage and shock in for the fzr swing arm ill get it on and see if there is more room for a pipe in there
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am

Those pipes are F'ing amazing, Casper. I dig the heat shields ( :) ). Do you think they'll require much mod work to fit?

Casper

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 am

radare wrote:Those pipes are F'ing amazing, Casper. I dig the heat shields ( :) ). Do you think they'll require much mod work to fit?
We will see, they are the stock pipes for the YZF-R1 2004-2006 (same as the tail plastics). I might be leaving them those colors as well, just clean them up and paint the inlets black. The midpipe will be the hardest part I think.

(Mounts are facing down in this picture.)

Casper

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Rear wheel is completely mounted. The machinist expressed some concern about using 6061 as a bushing instead of steel. Doesn't concern me much since I have already talked with a builder/machinist on CF before I purchased the stock. The concern was that due to the different heat expansion rates of Aluminium and Steel might cause the bushing to expand more than the bearing and giving a condition where the bushing/spacer combo starts to spin on the axle instead of the bearing. This shouldn't happen as all three bearings are under constant compression due to the axle being properly torqued and as they heat up, this should cause even more friction to hold them in place. I will have the front end set up on Monday. (Should the aluminium become a problem, I will remake them in stainless on the CNC.)

I will get some more pictures once I mount up the forks. (Then it will be time to do the engine and bodywork. YAY!)

(I left the stock left side spacer on the wheel instead of remaking one, but if the wheel isn't centered well enough for my liking at a later time {appears to be 5mm offset to the left at the moment}, I will remake that and take the right most spacer down the same. They really are a tight fit in all ways. They have roughly 1 or 2 thousandths diameter difference from the axle and bearings and 0 thousandths difference for the overall width of the swingarm, maybe even a -1 thousandths on the swingarm. :grins: )

Exhausts should be here Monday as well.

Drapheus
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: North Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 XJ600, 92 XJ600

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

Nice work! I always though aluminium was less affected by heat. and it was steel that expanded/contracted more. But what do I know.
'92 XJ600 - 50k | '95 XJ600 - 5k
Andrew Long Motography