My 1993 Seca II Rebuild

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: CALIFORNIA
Motorcycles:: 1993 Yamaha XJ 600 Seca II

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 pm

So I've had this bike for about 6 years now and although I've tried to keep up on maintenance I just haven't been able to give it as much love as it needed. I just moved in to a new house with a garage and i decided it would be a good opportunity to do a complete tear down and rebuild on the bike.
Meet Smokey. For reference this is her before starting on the tear down.
Then I began the actually process of taking her apart until I got it down to a bare frame.
Once I reached this point my fire department sent me out on a strike team before i had the chance to pull the motor.
But when I got back I was finally able to pull the motor and get the bike down the the bare frame.
I fond the easiest way to get the motor out was to lay the bike on its side and lift the frame off of the motor.
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 pm

The next step was to rebuild my filthy carb.
Here she is before I got started. obviously very dirty.
This is during the process of taking it apart and cleaning it. You can see one I just cleaned sitting on the paper towel behind the three that are still dirty.
Here she is all finished up. Obviously I could have spent a little more time shining up the outside of them but they have come a long way and the inside of all of them are spotless.
The next step after this will be either rebuilding the top end of the motor or rebuilding the new(used) fzr 600 forks I got for her.
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Just in case any of you are curious on what the final plan is for her well here you go (for the most part).
  • I will be replacing the forks and triple with one from an fzr 600.

Replacing the front and rear wheels with that of an fzr 600.

New clip on handlebars.

R6 undertail light and fairing.

R6 front brake calipers.

Powder coating the frame and painting all other parts.

New gauges and headlight from Dime City Cycles (will be a mostly naked bike in the end).
Other little bits and pieces will come along as well but that's going to be most of the main stuff I'll be doing to it. I will also not be reusing a lot of OEM parts from the bike so if any of you are interested let me know and maybe we can work something out.
CaliCafeSeca
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: California
Motorcycles:: '74 S1, GS500E, CBR1000rr, 14 Bolt, NS50, xj600

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:04 pm

This seems familiar. ;)
Good Luck with your project hesatitagain!
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Maine
Motorcycles:: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago
United States of America

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Awesome photographic documentation, hesa! We LUV pictures and yours are nicely done!
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Worked on rebuilding my FZR forks today. I had bought fork/dust seals in preparation but realized I would need more parts once I had taken them apart. My snap rings were rusty and one of the bolt on the bottom that holds in the baffle was stripped so I ended up having to drill it out so I had to order both of those. So right now they are just sitting like this until I get those parts.
So that was kind of a bummer. But on a good note I got my new rear tire for my FZR swap out rim and mounted it today. I ended up getting a Shinko 150/60-18 since tires are pretty limited with those rims but it does look good and it was fairly cheap with good reviews so we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.
Since I mounted it myself and I don't have balancing equipment I ordered some dynabeads for balancing them which I hear work good plus you don't have to put ugly weights on the wheels.
Also since I got the tire on the wheel I decided to paint the rear brake rotor and mount that back on with some hex head bolts instead of the allen key bolts which strip too easily.
All in all I'd have to say I'm really happy with how the rear wheel looks with the tire and the brake rotor and once I get the other parts for the forks I'll be happy with those as well.
CaliCafeSeca
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: California
Motorcycles:: '74 S1, GS500E, CBR1000rr, 14 Bolt, NS50, xj600

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Clearances are pretty tight in there, do the hex heads hit anything?
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:08 pm

CaliCafeSeca wrote:Clearances are pretty tight in there, do the hex heads hit anything?
The back wheel is fine. The front wheel gets a little tight but still plenty of room and I think they look better and if I decide to swap out the rotors they will be easier to take off
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Still waiting on a few parts to put my forks back together but in the mean time I got my front tire and rotors mounted on the wheel.
I know there is some kinda ugly paint in spots that I'm not too concerned about getting off at the moment. At some point I'm going to get these wheels powder coated so in the mean time I'm just going to ignore it.
I also decided it would be a good time to rebuild my brake calipers.
I don't really have any pictures of the process since my hands were covered in grease the whole time but I'm sure somebody else on here has a how-to if your interested in doing it yourself. It really wasn't that difficult and all of my gaskets and seals were still in good shape so none of them had to be replaced. It wasn't so much of a rebuild as much as it was taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together. If you have any questions feel free to ask though.
That's where I'm at right now, hopefully those parts will show up and I can get my forks back together, at that point the entire front assembly will be completed on this rebuild. I'm actually kind of surprised at how quickly its all coming back together although it has been a little pricey but oh well, it'll be worth it in the end.
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Finally got all of the parts for my forks and put them back together today.
As you can see I painted the triple and the lower fork tubes black and I think it turned out really good. I followed 1Oldman's how-to guide How to: Replace Fork Seals and Change Fork Oil and I found it extremely helpful so thank you 1Oldman. My only real qeustion is I have fzr 600 forks not seca ii forks so idk if I need to add more or less oil? If anybody knows please let me know. The next step will be to send the frame in for powder coating and to pull the motor apart, clean it, and replace all the gaskets. I'm a little worried about pulling the motor apart but with the help of you guys and my repair manual I think it will go well. Also trying to decide if i want to paint the motor black or keep it grey, let me know what you think. thanks everybody.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us