Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 am

I`m glad that I made a good choice with tires :) .

Regarding windshield, no, it`s not a factory windshield. It`s hand made. But it`s better made than a GIVI windsheald. I`ve had them both in my hands.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Okay, I was comparing it to a GIVI windshield and a slipstream, both from overseas (from me at least) ebay sellers which adds a lot of shipping costs, and it looked different from them. It looks good and ought to work good re-directing the air flow up and around you.
Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:34 pm

Basicaly it is a Givi copy. Just added that Yamaha logo and black "frame". So, I hope that it will do the job. Don`t think that i made that. There is a guy which is real "doctor" in windshields and he made it.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Sun May 03, 2015 12:52 am

Last evening I had some time and decided to clean all threds from powder coat paint. It went wery easy. Also I wanted to start asembling motorcycle and, since rear shock absorber has not arrived yet from sandblasting (it was prety nasty) I decided to inser some bearings. And started with stearing rod bearings. Made me a press from 16mm long threaded rod and tried to pres them but with no luck. So I had to hammer them and they went inside with no problem. After that I`ve packed bearings with red Valvoline grease, , inserted lower seal and bearing on to the stearing rod, plased that rubber washer in the middle of the rod, plased all the ansembly in to the stearing colon,
putted upper bearing and aftermarket seal
and then original cap with seal
Image.
Should I use just one of those tho seals , I like better OEM one, or should I use them both?

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Tue May 05, 2015 5:47 am

At the end I`ve decided to use just OEM seal and remove AM one. Today I managed to mount those two nuts with o-ring between (id 24mm x thicknes 3.5mm) and that`s it. Please find some older pictures with fairing repair/rebuild, sight glass replaced and master brake cylinder refurbished.

Image.

When I separated rear caliper in order to rebuild it, I`ve lost that middle o-ring/seal which doesn`t appear in the partlist. I`ve found that it has to be ID 6mm x OD 12mm x high 3mm. And I have found one o-ring at the general store with those dimensions. It has not square walls, thouse are rounded (ordinary o-ring) but it enters perfectly. There is still a problem with it, and that is, selling person didn`t knew if it is brake fluid resistant neather from which material it is. Still he knows that the o-ring will resist to petrol, diesel and other like stuff. Do you think that it will resist also to brake fluid? Does maybe someone know some other caliper/producer which uses this seal in order to be able to order it? I`ve seen that Suzuki Bandit has this seal but don`t know dimensions. Does somebody know?

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Thu May 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Today I have received ordered parts from Yamaha: new OEM rear caliper pistons and seals, brake pads and chain guide or how it is caled. Anyway, I am pleased that I managed to put new bearings and seals in both wheels and to put discs on. It remained to put chain sporket and tires.

And some new parts, already asembled:

Pistons

Rear caliper spring

Testing seal in brake fluid

Hope that on Saturday will be able to asembly rear caliper and finish with rear brake.

buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Fri May 08, 2015 6:14 am

Coming along well fella, thanks for the thread / info I will be re-assembling mine within the next week or two.

Jason

CaliCafeSeca
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '74 S1, GS500E, CBR1000rr, 14 Bolt, NS50, xj600

Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm

That frame, I'm literally drooling. :clap:

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Sat May 09, 2015 1:33 pm

I tried to rebuild this evening front forks. Oil was literaly black. But when I tried to put it back... well, it didn't went well. Please confirm me that i putted in right order alll the piecess.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sat May 09, 2015 2:43 pm

I can say the springs are in the right order, but I haven't removed the tube from the stanchion yet, so I cannot tell you about that order.

Radare did a post of it here:
radare wrote:Modifying the fork:

To build the hybrid fork, disassemble both forks and use the FZR lower and slider bushing and use all other components from your Seca II:
[/url]
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93