Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Hallo to everyone!

I have bought in autumn 2014 a Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, from 1998, originally made for French market. Because I was really afraid of buying a stolen bike, I wanted one to be registered in Romania. I decided also that I would like to have model from 1998 onward, because of last updates on the model (I am not sure whether they didn`t made more updates on later produced models) with low mileage and small money, wanting from start to restore it entirely. Since our law does not permit any technical modification on the road bike, I had just one option, and that is to make it as close as possible looking as it was from factory.

The engine was pretty ok and except that typical retelling it ran fine. Exhaust cans are welded to the pipes, which got me crazy, the seat was from the previous model and fairings were cracked. Brakes were totally worn out, from brake pistons to seals and discs. I haven’t seen such a mess in brakes never. Also I have a small problem with worn contact. It is functional but the key is not sitting strait up and you have to find a position in order to turn it.

As I`ve seen, original color scheme is Deep Purplish Red Cocktail 4.

Till now, I`ve stripped down in pieces everything except the engine. Engine is staying in a box, wrapped, and will be thoroughly checked after all the rest is rebuild. Partly because of leak of time and partly because of the costs implied in this restauration.

I have very few pictures from stripping and even as a whole bike, but will post in this topic as much as I have.
Also I will for sure need some guides from you guys, for which I will be most thankful.

This is my only picture from before stripping:

Then I started to buy things:

- Central stand - broken
- appropriate model seat
- rear fairing - broken
- stop light - broken
- swing arm - damaged
- exhaust pipes - welded to exhaust cans
- rear wheel axle - curbed
- front left foot peg - broken and welded
- brake caliper shims - didn`t had
- wheel bearings and seals - bad
- front brake disc - worn our badly
- rear brake disc - worn out badly
- rear under seat mudguard - broken and cut of
- TDM 850TX hugger - wanted to have it
- brake pistons - damaged badly - made on lathe from stainless steel
- swing arm bearings
- exhaust can holder bushings (those under the bike) - replaced with some automotive and adapted
- windshield - made a bigger touring one
- inner panels - missing (those small ones from ventilation wholes)
- rear mudguard flap - missing
- fork oil seals
- Michelin tires

And I can`t remember for now anything else.

The bike is stripped and sent to be sanded and powder coated. At least most of it. I was told that the frame will be painted in candy red, as RAL pallet is pretty limited and that is the closest to the factory color that can be done.
Front fairing was repaired by me, using Steinell ABS rods, some scrap ABS from a Ford, a heat gun (very little) and soldering iron with temperature adjustment. Also used some diluted ABS in acetone but not too much and just for finish. And of course I used my trusty Proxxon in order to make grooves in ABS.

So, here are some pics:

"New" under seat mudguard

"New" mud guard flap

"New" central stand

Handmade wind shield (this is a similar sample)

Don`t know how it`s called, chain slide I guess, but has to be replaced

My damaged swing arm

My damaged rear stop light glass

And some measurements on partly repaired front fairing

My naked frame

As I was informed, today will have to go and pick up painted parts, since they are ready. Here are first pics right from the oven:

Right now I have to paint upper triple, front fork and front footres bracket, which I don`t know if they were originally painted or just sand finished.

I have also placed all my bolts/nuts and small parts in zip bags and labeled according to part catalog with: Part No., how it is called, and how many you have of these at your bike. As my bolts and nuts are mostly worn out and rusty, I am also planning to change them.

This topic has 285 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login