Radare's '97 Seca II Restoration (aka Project Mousetrap)

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Radare's '97 Seca II Restoration (aka Project Mousetrap)

Post by radare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I drove out to Aurora tonight and brought home a '97 Seca II. It's been down on the right side, has damage to the tail fairing, main fairing, handlebar end, levers, right-side mirror and exhaust. The guy I bought it from bought it in 2002 and could never get it running. I'm guessing he then stored it outside under a tarp and it's been there until we drug it out of the weeds tonight. I mentioned the forum to him and he's joined us: Crazysecaguy. Keep an eye out for him and his red '96.

It's going to be a good winter project. Once I have it registered, I plan to tear it down to the frame and rebuild it into a medium-range tourer. Fortunately, I have many of the spare parts needed to get it back together. Also, fortunately again, it has the belly pan and it has the hardware; so I can finally get a photo of what the pan hardware looks like and where it mounts.

Stay tuned.

Drapheus
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: North Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 XJ600, 92 XJ600

Re: Radare's Seca II Tourer

Post by Drapheus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Exciting!!
'92 XJ600 - 50k | '95 XJ600 - 5k
Andrew Long Motography

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Post by MOzarkRider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

How much did you give for her, Radare? And What plans are do you have for the specific parts you want to add onto it? FZR front and Rear wheel mods? Corbin seat? Hard bags? ECT.... Im interested to see where the project goes :brow:
Also are you planning on keeping the fairings on this one? Cause those fairings are different from mine and I like the way they look hint hint....
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Orlando, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 SECA II

Post by draco751 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 pm

I still have the dealer install guide for the lower belly pan. It has this installation procedure written out pretty well. I'll snap a pic from it. Awesome find btw! Finding out the hard way lately how easy these bikes are to work on, so once mine is together maybe I may score another one too and make a nice project of it. You've got an excellent choice of color with that blue you're thinking of. Would be really nice to see one painted up with that for sure!

Here's a larger version of that pic.

And Here's what the frame mounting brackets look like once they're on the frame, the exploded diagram makes them look really complicated but they're pretty simple really. :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/10hk744.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/243kjm1.jpg
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by radare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm

MOzarkRider wrote:How much did you give for her, Radare? And What plans are do you have for the specific parts you want to add onto it? FZR front and Rear wheel mods? Corbin seat? Hard bags? ECT.... Im interested to see where the project goes :brow:
Also are you planning on keeping the fairings on this one? Cause those fairings are different from mine and I like the way they look hint hint....
$800 in this condition, with a spare engine (damaged block), and a title. She's going to be a lot of work to get going but I think she'll be worth it in the longrun. My N isn't the best at speeds above 65 and I'm looking forward to keeping the fairing on this one. I've been watching for a '97 for a while but they don't crop up often.

My current plans are to strip her down, paint the frame black and repaint her a nice metallic blue (something like the STI blue). I like the V-star shock and center stand on my '92 so I'll be pulling the stand off it and welding up a replica for the '97. I'll likely build some custom racks and mount a set of Givi bags. I'll stick to the stock wheels, brakes and tire-sizes just to keep her simple (and replacement parts easy). I may swap the '97's rearsets onto the '92 ('cause I've been watching for a set of '97 rearsets for my '92 ;) ). From there, who knows?

siniraag
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Saaremaa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: SV 650

Post by siniraag » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:42 am

Black wheels, belly pan, great looking fairing's.... lucky you! :roll:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by radare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 pm

My goal is to get the bike back to this condition before adding some accessories.

Tonight, since its 27F in the garage, I decided to stay in. I put a new screen in my laptop (long story) and bought some replacement parts: A TDM850 windscreen which should fit, new intake boots, carb o-rings and plugs/resistor caps.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and so I hope to get the cosmetics pulled off the bike and gain access to the carbs and coils. My first order of business is to get it running and verify that it DOES run. Once I'm done with that, then I'll tear her down and do a frame up.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by radare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Since it's way too cold to be out in the garage for more than 10 minutes, I decided to spend some time and cover the seat. I used some marine grade vinyl I had laying around from another project.

Here's the seat foam as it came to me. Note the missing chunk:

And the vinyl I'm using. It's stamped marine grade on the backside. This makes it much more stable to water and UV light, making it a good choice for a motorcycle seat:

To fill in the missing piece, I needed some foam. I didn't have any left from my BMW seat but I did have an old bicycle seat to cut up:

To glue the patch in, I used 3M's Super 77. It's good stuff!:

I cut a piece of foam from the bicycle seat and fitted it. I glued it in and shaped it with a belt sander. Not too bad:

I then threw the vinyl in the dryer to warm it up a bit and began covering:

This was an iterative process of stapling, pulling, stretching and more stapling. I probably pulled and re-stapled a hundred staples to get the cover to fit:

Heres the cover, about the time I got a blister from the stapler. I thought this was good enough:

And the finished seat with the parcel strap added:

This is the same process I used on the '92's seat and it's held up great for two years now. I hope this one will last at least that long. Ultimately I'd like to get the cover used on the Diversion as I like the looks of it. But this'll do!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by radare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

And my new (well, lightly used) XJ600 FSM showed up today. I bought it when we had that discrepency with the Haynes manual, for comparisons sake. If anyone ever needs any info from it, just let me know!

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Post by ride92 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 pm

That seat recover looks really good. I need to do the same to mine soon. Did you glue the vinyl down or just stretch and staple it in place? Now I just need to find some marine grade vinyl somewhere to do the recover. You wouldn't have enough for another seat you'd be willing to let go of whould you?
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."