Project SONAR - My 1992 naked conversion

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Well, after spending way too much time on this forum, much to my wifes dismay, I have finally decided to start my own project thread for my conversion on my '92. I'm calling the project, PROJECT SONAR, as a tip of the hat to Radare and the very impressive work he has done, both with the site and with his bikes. Sonar is somewhat similar to Radar and my bike is going to be somewhat similar to his '92 when I'm done (hopefully). Well at least that is the plan, the way I see it in my mind. The similarities between are bikes numerous. I have a red '92, so does Radare. I'm doing a naked conversion, so did Radare. I've got a honda 599 headlight, buell M2 cyclone windscreen, FZ600 Gauges, so does/did Radare at one point in time or another. I'm gonna be trying to do a few things different as I don't want an exact copy of anyone's bike, even if it a gourgous Red '92 from Colorado!!! So Lets start off with some pictures and bring you up to speed at where I'm at currently.

This is the bike the day it was dropped off at my apartment in Oregon. At the time I didn't have a motorcycle license but was scheduled to take my course in a few weeks.

It had relative low miles for being an almost 20 year old bike, so how bad could it be?

It had her fair share of things needing attention, some i've gotten too other are still on the list.

Tires didn't look too bad!!!

According to the previous owner the bike was recently serviced at Doc Browns in Downtown Portland OR. There were receipts for Carb sync and tune as well as new chain and sprockets installed in october of 2011.

I succesfully completed the motorcycle training course with flying colors. I was able to take one last ride down to Silver falls State park on a beautiful 65 degree day just before the movers came and packed everything up for the move.

Here she is parked over looking one of the many water falls in the area.

Oh yeah, before all this I used several of the included "special coupons" from various shops around portland to get properly outfitted for riding. A new helmet, the Scorpion EXO-500 in matte black, very cool helmet!

I also got some Fox Carbon backed gloves and a Scorpion Hat-trick jacket for the changing climates of riding in Wisconsin.

Decided since the bike was going to be sitting outside for a short while I should recover the seat. I got some matte Black marine grade vinyl from Jo-Anns Fabrics and got to work.

Sweet, It looks and feels awesome!!! Lots of staples but one happy but, maybe I'll get a corbin sometime in the future...

I had a small leak in one of the fork legs so I figured it was time to replace the seals and paint the lowers black. Ordered the seals from pyramid parts. Part# 009 and 027 if i remember correctly. It took about two months for them to actually get me the correct seals. The oil seals they sent were correct but the dust seals were the wrong size, they had the wrong ID. The second set they sent was for 41mm forks and the third set worked!!

I actually don't have pictures of the painting of the lowers, or I don't know where they are in my messy photos folders they are at the moment. I used duplicolor Flat black engine enamal and bake them in the oven to set the paint. They turned out great! Black lowers and no more leaks!!

Things were going good until one day returning from some minor errands the bike stalled on me. Great now what's going on? I checked the tank and had plenty of gas but added some just incase, still wouldn't stay running. I don't have pics for the next little bit. I took the tank off and the air box, found the filter to be in good shape but there was a bit of sticky brown gunk in the bottom of the air box. I little degreaser and a scrubby pad and it was clean as could be. I also found some dried out and rotten fuel lines leading to the carbs, with no fuel filter what so ever. That just isn't right! So off to the autoparts store for am inline filter and some new line. I got that hooked up and the bike still wouldn't stay running unless I held it at WOT and then it would only get to about 2000rpm. Back at it again, this time I found the fuel pump to be spewing gas out of one of the little holes in the back. On to the forum and found that the polaris pump is a cheaper alternative and same as stock. So I ran to a local polaris dealer and they had one in stock for about $50, great!!!

Pics of that to follow, I've got to find them. Stay tuned I'm only just getting started!!!
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."

Trialsstar34
XJOTM June 2013
XJOTM June 2013
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 Seca II / 95 Seca II / 2013 GasGas 300 Race

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Looking forward to following your conversion! :)
Check Out my Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3001
Drapheus wrote:Yea that cam chain goes slappity slap slap rattle rattle slap rattle slap slappity
Or something like that
Noises with Drapheus, yyayyy

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region or State: United Kingdom
Motorcycles Owned Currently: The Rust Bucket

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm

That's some wrote up!
Nice work on the saddle.
Can't wait to see the rest.
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

Drapheus
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: North Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 XJ600, 92 XJ600

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Sweet sweet progress!

Very nice job on the seat. Looks brand new.
'92 XJ600 - 50k | '95 XJ600 - 5k
Andrew Long Motography

wzc0014
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Auburn, AL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Seca II

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Nice work.
Almost the same as my 92, mileage, color, and all. I need to recover my seat, and just ordered a polaris pump myself. As well as starting to collect parts for my conversion.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with it all!

LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Maine
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Bravo! Encore! : kudos:
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Here's how I jacked my bike up to work on the front end. I barrowed the lift from my dad but was not liking how it lifted it at all. I nver felt it was truely safe up there!

Anyhow back to the bike not wanting to stay running. It went from not wanting to stay running to not wanting to start after the new fuel lines, filter and pump. Strange that it almost seemed like somehow ripping into the forks messed with everything else. It was the first ride after I got the front end back together that it started acting up.

So I took the tank off. (using what I had)

You can see that shiny new fuel pump and filter!

Well running the fuel line right to carbs didn't help so I could rule out, for the time being, the petcock. So into the carbs I go...

Hmm, that some weird hose thing coming out of my carbs? Do those need to go somewhere? Nope I guess it's a Cali bike.

Started taking the float bowl covers off to see what was going on and give it a good cleaning (the screws were a pain to get out so I replaced them with some socket cap screws from the hardware store)

Hello in there, what is this weird looking little screw?

This one had the mystery screw as well??? it did not look like the other carbs I've seen on here.

Turns out everyone of the acorn screws were missing and instead these little pan head screws took there place. As I sat there looking at it I realized that the screws were infact holding the slides open a bit!!!

Were these the deamons causing the problem? So I asked on here and someone sent me two extra acorn screws they had and the other two I drilled the center of the threads out so the needle in there could move freely and allow the slide to close.

So with that out of the way I started to dig deeper and deeper in the unknown land of carburators. I've never worked on them before. Well there's a first for everything and how bad could I really screw it up?

Found some little nastiness living in one of the carbs under the little screen.

This little guy came rolling out of somewhere when I had everything apart that I could get apart!

He has since found a home somewhere on my garage floor!!

One of the mixture screws was all cruded up, I cleaned it.

The good news with the carbs is that I found I already had #20 pilot jets in there, the slides moved freely, and the diaphrams were'nt ripped at all. I also saw no signs of tarneshed or gummed up fuel. I gave everything a good cleaning with brake cleaner and pine sol. I ran a wire thru the tiny little passages and went to work setting everything back up proper. Starting with the float heights.

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am

I started with setting the float heights using the "on-bench" method to set the caliper to .30" and set about bending the tangs until they were all the same and in spec. I had a bit of confusion with this part. If I laid the carbs down the float would depress the needles so I set them up so that the floats were just touching the needles and not actually moving them at all. THIS WAS THE WRONG WAY!!!. I hooked the carbs back and up and the flood gates opened with gas spilling everywhere. I then decide to do the wet method and got them all adjusted to 5mm below the line flaot bowl covers. What is that line for anyhow if its in the wrong spot? I then set out to get the mixture screws adjust properly. At this bike the bike was back to running but not that well. My hard work had paid off!!! Using the infared thermometer I adjusted the pilot screws until all the temps on the header pipes were close to each other. Since all this was taking quite a bit of time to get adjusted right and not having some of the right tools aka a manometer I dropped the bike off with a family friend who is an excellent motorcycle mechanic to do some of the fine tuning. A week later I got the bike back with carbs adjusted properly and a new throttle cable installed. She was purring like a kitten!!!

I couldn't leave well enough alone so I set out to fix my one broken blinker lens. I had a full set of extra blinker stalks and lens that 1Oldman had sent to me. So I decided to swap the long back stalks with the shorter ones used on the front.
Half way done, you can see the difference in length.

Not the biggest change in the world but I like the look of it and it streamlines the rear end a bit.

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 am

Rode the rest of the season like this dreaming of all the things I would need for the naked conversion. The motorcycle took the back seat for a bit as we welcomed our first child, Addison Rose on August 14th 2012!!

I did put the front fairing back on, I had it off to fix some rattles and re-secure the windscreen better.

As winter began to set in I took to ebay to start getting all the parts I would need for the naked conversion.

Picked up some really low mile FZ600 gauges! (The needles still have their red stripe and the white dials aren't too yellow)

And set them free from their cages

By chance i came across a guy on Craigslist in Vancouver Canada selling a Honda Hornet 599 headlight, picked it up for $45 with shipping!

Decided I couldn't swing the new holeshot fairing so i sourced a Buell M2 Cyclone orginal from ebay, It will get repainted!!

I decided that some stock mounting brackets would be far easyier to deal with then trying to make my own. Stopped at a local Harley dealer and order up these little guys. There scheduled to go obsolete, so when they run out they are gone for good. I had also emailed holeshot to see if I could buy some brackets from them but they said no.

Buell/Harley wanted $2.00 a peice for some 8-32 well nuts, Ace hardware wanted $0.60 a peice!!! Also got some stainless screws 3/4" and black nylon washers for the front. I added the stainless Nylock nuts for good measure.

Found a good deal from Autozone on some Autometer 5204 3-3/8" gauge cups so ordered two of those up as well!!!

cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Southern California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

ride92 wrote:Here's how I jacked my bike up to work on the front end. I barrowed the lift from my dad but was not liking how it lifted it at all. I nver felt it was truely safe up there!

Are you lifting the bike by its exhaust headers?! :yikes: If so that's a really bad idea... No wonder it's not stable, not to mention the probability of denting/bending the headers and messing with the seals at the head. All it takes is a few pieces of 2x4 wood running along under the bottom frame rails and across the lift supports to firmly support the bike. Then add a couple tie down straps from higher up on the bike's frame down to the lift to make it really steady. I've used ATV lifts like that for years and they're probably the best lift available for these bikes short of a full table lift.

Such a pristine bike... No offense but it always bothers me to see an old Seca in this great of condition about to be turned "naked"... :twocents:
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II