Taillight/Undertail swap with 2001 R6

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

This mod was inspired by our Spanish friend from the old site Bandido78. Kudos to him for doing such a good job on it.

Here is the undertail in position. If you look closely you can see that I have cut the undertail all along the outsides so it will fit in between the frame. This way the piece is completely hidden by the side fairings once they are put on. The part sticking out right to the right of the luggage mount actually sits perfectly flush with the frame, so that worked out quite nice. You can also see where I cut off the stock fender. I may cut off the attachment for the ignition unit, but I havn't decided yet.

This end is where most of the cutting to the undertail has been done. I am trying to match the height at the top of the arc. In this pic I am short about an inch or so, but that will be lifted a bit once I actually mount it to the bike. I will have fill in the open spots between the two pieces with some aluminum flashing or the like.

Here is the side view to show how it fits into the frame. I did alot of cutting to get it there. I plan on attaching it permanently with some cable ties and maybe a few added screws.

Here's the new side profile. I like this so much better than having that big fender sticking down. It certainly isn't quite that sharp steep angle of newer more sportier bikes, but I like the profile much much better.

Here's the new tail section. The R6 undertail really does fit quite well there.

This is a close up of the bracket I made to hold the back end of the undertail right up under the tail fairings (without this bracket, it sagged enough for the edge of the undertail fairing to be visible). I cut it out of a piece of sheet aluminum from the Home Depot. Real easy to make, feels quite solid, and holds it exactly where I wanted it. This pic is from the inside of the tail.

Here is the bracket on the other side taken from the outside of the bike. I was able to just slip the bracket in between the mount for the light and the support on the undertail fairing. I put the second bolt through the undertail fairing to prevent rotation, then bolted the other end of the bracket to the stock fender mounting point, and voila! These bolts will need to be lock-tited to prevent them from coming off when I finally put this all back together. Sorry this one's a little blurry.

I found that the back plate wouldn't fit on due to the new light being a bit tall. This is because I fit the undertail way up under the back plate to hide the edges of the undertail (you can kind of see this in the second pic). But I was able to just cut a chunk out of the support matrix on the back, and it didn't effect the stiffness of the back plate. Now it fits on perfectly, and everything looks really nice.

Now I just need to raise the front end of the undertail fairing up a little, attach it, install the new light once it comes, and remount the license plate.

I did mine a bit differently than Bandido, he mounted his undertail fairing on the bottom side of the tail frame. I cut that part away and tucked the fairing way up inside the tail frame. My way requires more cutting and test fitting, his way requires that you leave the black original plastic mostly in tact. His also doesn't cause any issues with clearance of the rear wheel at full stuff. I had to drive mine farther up inside the frame because of rubbing. Now I think I still rub a little bit, but only at full stuff, which doesn't really happen much, so it seems ok.

For the lights, I used this set on integrated turn signal taillights:
These were not wired with the same color wires as my bike. I had all the same colors, but they didn't correspond to the bike-side wires; and with no instructions/documentation, I had to connect at random until I figured out which wire was which.

I found that these lights are a bit dim. They are ok at night, but during the day I feel that they are not a bright as I'd like. As such, I have ordered these that appear brighter:

I'll post some pics once they come in and I can get them mounted.

I made a custom super easy license plate mount.

Here it is from the back, sorry the light is bad, hope you can see what I did.

All the hardware came from Home depot, that's thin 1/2" aluminum L. The license plate lights I found online. They aren't great, don't really throw much light or really light up the plate. I just hope it is enough to be legal.

And yes, I realize my plates are expired... I think I forgot to pay my excise tax last year. Stupid Massachusetts.
Last edited by Nelsonmd on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login