Custom gauge housing fabrication

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
rstoup
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Hey guys so in my attempt to go naked I have been trying to figure out how to place the gauges. I am not to electronically savvy so I would have absolutely no idea as to how to wire a universal gauge or any other aftermarket gauge otherwise. It would be nice if some of you guys could point me in the right direction. Are there any gauges that are a direct plug and play with the stock gauges? SOME HELP would be greatly appreciated. While I wait for some help I figured that I would take apart the stock gauge cluster just to see whats underneath. Upon doing so I was thinking that maybe my best bet was to purchase a hollow gauge cluster to seat the stock gauges into but I also ran into problems finding gauge housing that would fit. Maybe you guys could point me in the right direction as to hollow gauges that will fit the stock gauges also? Anyway I figured that if you guys could help me out that would be greatly appreciated; meanwhile I figured I would give fabricating my own housing a go. I would like to eventually have both the speedo and tach mounted but I think the best way to go initially is to start with a speedo housing. This is as far as I got. Has anyone fabricated their own custom housing or maybe know of any sites that I could check out for inspiration? This is as far as I got so far:

I really hope that the plastic that I am using to house the speedo is made of ABS plastic so that I could weld around the openings to keep it all covered. Honestly I have no idea where the piece came off of. I basically went into my attic and searched for anything that would fit the speedo. This was what I found. I think its the cover for the electronics off of an old water pump that we had.

Anyway some help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking that if this is a go I will have to figure out a new location for the ignition because the speedo cable is too short and the best mount for the gauge housing would be directly over it. Thanks for reading guys, and thanks for the help. Ill keep updating this post with new pictures and progress once it starts to come along.

This topic has 78 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login