Fork Seal Replacement Thoughts

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
pohnee
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Using Oldman1's tutorial (thank you) as the main source of info, I completed replacing the fork seals on my '92. Initially I was pretty terrified of the prospect, but was even more terrified of the 382.00 quote from a local bike shop. I gave up on my online order for the seals and grease, order placed on 12/21 and still have not received them, and ordered them from a local store which I received the next day.

The job was pretty easy. The worst part was waiting for the parts. Next time I'll know to have everything available before starting the project. I especially appreciated the damper rod tool, although getting the vinyl tubing on the rod was a pain in the a%#!

I guess the point of this post is to let others know that this is a very doable job. I am no master mechanic, but I do know what was done to my bike. I could also see how shortcuts could be taken on a job like this and one would never know. And lastly, after spending time removing and putting on that damned fairing, I am starting to see the massive benefit of all these fairingless bikes. You lazy... :quiet: Happy New Year!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login