complete oil drain (have to refill every day) + pics

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
daniel_
New to XJR
New to XJR

This is my first post here and sorry to start off selfishly by looking for answers and not taking the time to introduce myself first. I will soon :)

Also my problem is not yet very well defined, but with what I know now maybe some of you recognize the issue and can help me shave some time off any possible need for trial and error.

Last Saturday I bought a XJ600S from 1994. It looks very well taken care off and the individual who sold me the bike seems(seemed) like a trustworthy guy. It drives and handles very well too.

I drove it around 160km that day. The next morning I wanted to take it for a spin but I would not start and the oil lamp was on. I checked. No oil visible in the oilwindow. But, no large spillage on the ground underneath my Div either.
I filled it up with oil, which also showed up in the oilwindow. Started it and it worked. Drove around a bit, no problems. Next morning, tried to start, wouldn’t start and the oil lamp was on. I checked the ground. No oil spillage, some minor drops (3, maybe 4). I checked the oilwindow and it showed a VERY small amount of oil left.

It seems that the engine on te left side is greasy (damn thing is, I don’t remember if this was clean when I bought the bike). Also towards the back (towards the shifter) where there are tubes etc it seems very greasy. For instance, the spring in the bike stand (not the middle stand) is one big black greasy mess.

Is my bike leaking somewhere other than the oilfilter and is the oil that is spilled gathering on the bike and not the ground? What is going?

Sound familiar to anyone? Many thanks in advance.

P.S. The seller does not reply to emails. But he already told me he would be out of the country for a week. But I want to narrow this down asap
Last edited by daniel_ on Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login